Confused

We got a home with a garage converted to a bonus room. The attic space is insulated though not enough, the AC is about 2 years old (3Tons I believe, have to make sure) and had the AC people add a vent to the bonus room. The bonus room has South and West (Arizona) exposure making it really warm in the summer. The rest of the house is cool, but this room is probably about 5-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. The room is probably a good 15 or more feet from the one return vent that I know off. Will it be beneficial to have a return suck all that warm air back to the cooling system? I understand that the cost of adding a return vent depends on many factors but could you give me at least a ballpark figure as to what I would expect to spend on it. Again, the room is about 15 feet from the main return vent and the attic is accessible.

Sounds like the room has a high heat load. Return needed - absolutely. However the other factor in play is if there is enough airflow to the bonus room to handle the hdeat load. If they tapped into the end of a 6" run to supply the room, yu may need additional mods to the ductwork.

Have a reputable local HVAC contractor look at it and do a heat load calc on the room. He can then determine if there is enough supply side air to cool the room, and he can also evaluate the best way to add a return that will be most effective.

paul

Thanks for the reply Paul, I did forget to mention that the room is directly adjacent to the living room and the door is permanently open. Right now I have a fan right beside the door drawing cold air from the living room into the bonus room.

most likely the system wasn't sized for the bonus room. A return vent may help some. But more supply air is going to need be added to cool it. This may make the rest of the house less cool or cause the unit to run all the time when its above 90 or so. Can a window type unit work in there? More insulation is always a good investment.
    Me:here's your invoice. The total is $$.. Customer:Oh would you check...while your here?

Finally made it home and verified the tonage on the cooling unit, it's a 4 ton RUUD (12SEER), installed in 2002. The home living area including the bonus room is 1500sq ft.

If it's a 4 ton it should cool the house and the bonus room too. Have someone add more supply air in there.
    Me:here's your invoice. The total is $$.. Customer:Oh would you check...while your here?

Thanks, I'll do some calling tomorrow for quotes.

u said it used to be a garage alot of exterior walls and attic . need more supplies and a return for sure

I was quoted $350 for adding the return vent, I called and requested an estimate from the same people that service our work AC units.

You need more supply to that room also.

The return may help, but if its a permenant open doorway, your teouble is more likely, lack of supply air.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?