Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 66
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    98
    I work for a small resi company who offers duct cleaning and it's a joke as far as I'm concerned. All we do is seal off all the registers, hook up an old Hepa 2500 vac to one of the supply ducts, while the vac is running we clean the registers one by one, maybe blow some air through the duct. It only costs about 200 and takes a couple hours but I'm pretty sure it does absolutely nothing. Not to mention the Hepa 2500 is huge and bulky and we have to bring it in the house, the vac hose (about 8" diameter) is a PITA to hook up. In my opinion you'd get much better draw from a 4" hose and it would be easier to hook up. Either way the service is a joke and I wish we didn't even offer it. Of course I understand a more legitimate duct clean would probably take a whole day and cost a lot more.

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn520 View Post
    I work for a small resi company who offers duct cleaning and it's a joke as far as I'm concerned. All we do is seal off all the registers, hook up an old Hepa 2500 vac to one of the supply ducts, while the vac is running we clean the registers one by one, maybe blow some air through the duct. It only costs about 200 and takes a couple hours but I'm pretty sure it does absolutely nothing. Not to mention the Hepa 2500 is huge and bulky and we have to bring it in the house, the vac hose (about 8" diameter) is a PITA to hook up. In my opinion you'd get much better draw from a 4" hose and it would be easier to hook up. Either way the service is a joke and I wish we didn't even offer it. Of course I understand a more legitimate duct clean would probably take a whole day and cost a lot more.
    But how do the customers feel about the service? What kind of response and expressions do you get from them?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

    If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    98
    Most of them seem happy but I don't think they know any better. I guess you can't expect too much for 200$ but i don't like performing a BS service but i gotta do what I gotta do to have a job. To me duct cleaning is one of those things where you can spend 3 hours doing it or 13, just depends on what you want to invest in it.

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    997
    Don't agree. It's either clean or dirty. If it's still dirty it needs to be cleaned again. It takes 2 guys around 7 hours to clean it correct Cleaning all duct pulling the blower cleaning the coil cleaning the AHU. It takes time to do it correctly.

  5. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    98
    Well drk I actually agree with you. If you're not going to do it right, then don't do it at all, exactly my point. Why offer some half ass duct clean that can't possibly net a good profit? Unfortunately it's not my company or my call, but I would really like to question them. It's just my foot in the door to become an HVAC Tech, in between duct cleans I get to help people change parts and do installs so I take it as it comes.

  6. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    17
    We go through Air Care, out of Las Vegas. I don't know how their prices compare, but their equipment has lasted us pretty well. Their technician that fixes our rotobrushes always tries to sell us crap when we order new bristles and chemicals...

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    17
    This is 100% correct. We just did a two story 5 ton zoned with 22 duct runs plus return. We pulled the blower, cleaned the coil, registers, and all ducts. We were there from 8:30 this morning until 4pm. We didn't take a lunch.


    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Don't agree. It's either clean or dirty. If it's still dirty it needs to be cleaned again. It takes 2 guys around 7 hours to clean it correct Cleaning all duct pulling the blower cleaning the coil cleaning the AHU. It takes time to do it correctly.

  8. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by powderedtoastman View Post
    We go through Air Care, out of Las Vegas. I don't know how their prices compare, but their equipment has lasted us pretty well. Their technician that fixes our rotobrushes always tries to sell us crap when we order new bristles and chemicals...
    Are you using the brushes on flex duct?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

    If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

  9. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    98
    I was also wondering does the Rotobrush work well on flex? How do you run it through a 3" bathroom duct? Wish I had one, I have to use an old beat to hell HEPA 2500, and I have a long flexible brush that hooks into a drill, it's actually for drier vents but it works pretty well on flex.

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn520 View Post
    I was also wondering does the Rotobrush work well on flex? How do you run it through a 3" bathroom duct? Wish I had one, I have to use an old beat to hell HEPA 2500, and I have a long flexible brush that hooks into a drill, it's actually for drier vents but it works pretty well on flex.
    I am wondering in general how brushes work on flex. Some act like a brush will or can tear flex up. Some brushes claim that they won't catch screws. And also I am wondering if variable speed is necessary on a duct machine, specifically to lower rpm for flex duct.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

    If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

  11. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    98
    Well there's the rotobrush long vac hose with brush on the end of it. And then there is also large vacuums you can hook up to a supply and put the whole system under neg pressure. The brush I use hasn't done any harm to flex and the vac is not powerful enough to crush the flex either. I personally think the rotobrush would be more efficient if it can go through flex, but you can actually use the 2 types of vacs in conjunction.

  12. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn520 View Post
    Well there's the rotobrush long vac hose with brush on the end of it. And then there is also large vacuums you can hook up to a supply and put the whole system under neg pressure. The brush I use hasn't done any harm to flex and the vac is not powerful enough to crush the flex either. I personally think the rotobrush would be more efficient if it can go through flex, but you can actually use the 2 types of vacs in conjunction.
    Are the brushes you use the full round type or the collapsable flaps?
    What I have for a neg air machine is probably what you have. It reminds me of the Air Care in the design but maybe an early model before they got kind of fancy. But the filter sizes are the same. I think 2500 cfm is about what it pulls on a good day.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

    If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

  13. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    98
    The brush I use is just a dryer vent brush they sell at home cheapo. It has flexible rods that screw together, and you can put it in your drill, unfortunately the brush only comes in one size but it's better than nothing, I run it through the ducts while the neg pressure machine is going. If you could get different sized brushes it would actually work perfectly, it goes through flex pretty well. Kind of something I came up with on my own since the company won't buy me a Rotobrush, lol.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event