Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have been using the Rotobrush for a while now to fantastic results I have a video camera attached to it so I see inside the ducts real time has served me real well. As far as fogging the air ducts it has its uses your brushes and or air systems will get particulate out but the possibility of viruses and more still existing in the ducts is there and fogging will be effective but its only effective at the time of use not for days after so keep that in mind long term UV air purification is the best bet plus good up sell.

Fogging is ineffective for HVAC systems. There not enough chemical. Go with an airless sprayer will put more chemical where it is needed. UV lights will do nothing to kill mold and viruses blowing in the duct so don't waste your time on them.

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Fogging is ineffective for HVAC systems. There not enough chemical. Go with an airless sprayer will put more chemical where it is needed. UV lights will do nothing to kill mold and viruses blowing in the duct so don't waste your time on them.
    Not to start something but your not correct. Fogging is a temp method that is effective for an hour, so whats there at the time is affected. Study after study has shown that a UV light that puts out 256 nm is effective with constant blower operation at limiting ppm counts, most UV lights out there don't so do your research and find the ones that do. Ultravation products are one that come to mind that do.

I think bbj is effective for around 60 days an hour is nothing. When foster 40 80 was EPA certain for HVAC systems it had up to a 160 day kill time. I'd love to see this info u have on uv. I know of nobody that will state that uv is effective in the air stream using one light. 10 feet of light I might agree with u

I think bbj is effective for around 60 days an hour is nothing. When foster 40 80 was EPA certain for HVAC systems it had up to a 160 day kill time. I'd love to see this info u have on uv. I know of nobody that will state that uv is effective in the air stream using one light. 10 feet of light I might agree with u
    So what should be used to kill the crap in ductwork?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Unless you live in an area with consistently high humidity, mold should not be present in the duct work. If it is there has to be a moisture problem somewhere. That may be an improperly sized system, poor design, external water source, leak or ? if left uncorrected all of the sanitizing in the world won't prevent its recurrence.

BBJ claims their microbiocide will inhibit mold growth for up to 6 months by preventing reproduction, but its the up to part that concerns me!
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing well at what others say can't be done at all!

Bbj is the most widely used chemical. I can find at least some mold in 70% of the units I look in. 10% are bad.

Bbj is the most widely used chemical. I can find at least some mold in 70% of the units I look in. 10% are bad.
    Which BBJ product are you guys refering too?
    I found mold in a unit this week downstream of an old pan and screen type humidifier. The mold was dead because the humidifier hadn't been used in years.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Just because you see it doesn't mean its active. If the system was dry with no active mold growth thorough cleaning would be fine. It takes time for a system to dry out after a problem is corrected and most hvac companies don't follow up with a thorough cleaning later on.

http://www.bbjenviro.com/products_microbiocide.asp

Seriously doubt that BBJ's products are all that widely used. They have very few distributors located throughout the country and they are pricey. Most guys opt for the cheap stuff and charge a fortune for using it.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing well at what others say can't be done at all!

Mold can stay dormant for years. Once it gets the moisture back it will start to grow again. Dead mold is an allergen. So it needs to be taken care of properly. As far as BBJ goes. It is spected on lots of jobs it's all we use now because it one of only a hand full of products that is EPA approved for use inside of HVAC systems. Don't need a law suite for using a non approved product.

I agree mold can remain dormant for many years and sanitizing is warranted as long as there is active growth, but once the moisture problem has been corrected, mold growth ends and the only way to remove these dangerous allergens from the system is thorough cleaning.

Other products include EnviroCon, Oxine-HVAC and Sporocidin which probably still sell for far less than BBJ's products.

Mold can stay dormant for years. Once it gets the moisture back it will start to grow again. Dead mold is an allergen. So it needs to be taken care of properly. As far as BBJ goes. It is spected on lots of jobs it's all we use now because it one of only a hand full of products that is EPA approved for use inside of HVAC systems. Don't need a law suite for using a non approved product.
    I always thought that EPA does register products for specific use (such as HVAC) but not approving it in anyway.

Yes but there are not many on the market. They have had products for at least 15 years.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast