Thread: has it come to this?

Post Likes
    had a heatpump installed in a rent house 9 mons ago,800 sq ft house,never had duct work so,because of renthouse paid to have it done by a certified man who i've used before and trust.a goodman was installed,split system.renter called last week and said he had no cool air,called the installer,he billed us for thawing out unit,replacing service port core and adding pd and a half of r22.i asked about why goodman doesn't warranty a 9 mon old unit...he said they don't cover labor and freon,and he really did try to,i know he buys from johnstone....long story short i really feel any unit should last a year without me paying for anything...it sounds like it would have been the same if this would have happened a week later.....i think enough of the installer that he shouldn't have to eat the cost either...is this what the hvac business has come to..

Post Likes
    Why did the unit need 1.5 lbs of freon? Is there a leak somewhere? As far as warranty my labour is included in the first year. It is calculated into the prices we charge.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    You shouldnt have been billed, installer should cover labor for first year, schreader valve cores dont usually leak, they were either burned up during installation of the caps were left off/loose, no way this happens with a properly installed unit

Post Likes
    he said the leak was at service core,and it was working so i do feel it leaked out enough to freeze up...from what you have said,it sounds like you are eating the repairs for the first year and not the manufactor?don't seem right

Post Likes
    Did this guy slide your unit out the rear of a station wagon or large sedan trunk when he showed up to install it? Guess he might've given you a taillight warranty to go with it.

Contractors can often be reimbursed by manufacturer for time spent correcting a manufacturer's defect. An installation defect is the installer's burden and he should make good on it if contract includes a labor warranty of whatever duration.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    thanks for the replies,from them it sounds like as a rule the valve failure would be the installers fault because of too much heat brazing the lines in than a faulty valve from factory and he for sure charged enough the first time....

Post Likes
    The final manufacturing of an HVAC system is done on the job. In many places it is the law that the installer be responsible for the first years labor on any issues. Some areas require two years labor from the installer. No equipment manufacturer covers labor. That is how the HVAC industry operates so it's nothing new to anyone.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Our area we are required to cover labour and material for a period of 2 years on new construction.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    9 month old system and you dont have a warrenti
    i would be finding the leak and not charging for it either
    also would not blame it on a schrader core. unless i was sure it was the reason. in either case if it was leaking it was install related. unless you kook up gauges all the time to it.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't have had to go back!!

I would have done a proper leak test from the beginning.

Post Likes
    Leak in service core? Tell the moron to install the cap and quit leaving them off!

RoBo nailed the warranty from the mfg. The installer should've covered you for at least a year on labor and refrigerant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in