Re-using copper tubing....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry

Hurricane Ivan destroyed our home (and lives) on a barrier island last September, yes obviously thinks are SLOW thanks to greedy insurance companies and mortgage companies. 8 months later and we are getting to the drywall and yes the central heat & air (maybe?).

Its nearly impossible to find a good HVAC contractor here, its all half-assed jobs. But at least things work.

Speaking of cheap.... okay fine i'll go on about my drunk pill popping abusive step father. Doesn't know how to get the job done right...
    The house was gutted after the storm, everything covered in mold etc. In gutting the place that included removal of the heat pump and condenser, the copper connections were just cut with what seems to be pliers or something. The connections were left wide opened outside and inside the house (probably a couple spiders, sand, mold inside there..). One day I decided to take matters into my own hands, I yanked out the copper tubing along with the drainage line and low-voltage line to the condenser. I placed the old rotting crap outside. I suppose the cheapo' AC guy (my fathers uncle) along with my father saw the piping, and being the money crunching individuals they are, they wanted to SAVE the old copper piping that went from the heat pump to the condenser! Yelling at me about how expensive it is... I thought and know for a fact that its old (well 5 years) and full of crap from being opened up outside for 8 months! I didn't think it would be worth salvaging at all!

What's to come? If they reuse this crap what's going to happen? I already know that the vents are going to leak, in fact I tore out this mangled vent and duct work and placed at curb side only to find it re-mounted. Jesus Christ people are dumb, i'm just looking out for people and all I do is get yelled at, who knows what's down the road from here, the ducts are black with mold and dust and god knows what, and it will only get worse. When they kick on the system and a dead bird falls out of a vent and everyone gets sent to the hospital its not my fault. Sorry about this, I turned the whole thread around, I guess its all just a rant, but thanks for listening to me! : )

would not re-use any thing esp copper lines.

The only thing its good for is whatever you can scrap it out for at the local recycler.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

what about trying another contractor.

obviously the crew you have sucks.

good luck

Arrow

Well the guy who thinks we can reuse it doesn't even do any AC work, I don't trust his judgment at all, he just works in the office he doesn't install or anything. Hopefully we get a knowledgeable installer who insists on replacing the lines. It just makes me sick. The insulation on the pipe is just crumbling. For christ sake i'll slip him some cash and say i'll pay for the friggn' pipe.

Originally posted by billva
    what about trying another contractor.

obviously the crew you have sucks.

good luck
    Well yeah, its family, the place thats installing it is family and we are supposed to get a "deal". We had another guy come out and give an estimate (much more but most likely the best place in town) but they rather have cheap.

sounds like a great "deal".

you'll be spending twice the amount you save in the near future.

some times you gotta be rough and fire the incompentent "family".

Is there a problem with reusing A/C old copper lines on a change out when the lines have never been open and do not leak? One contractor said there is no problem reusing old lines. Others say they will use new lines.

I suppose the cheapo' AC guy (my fathers uncle) along with my father saw the piping, and being the money crunching individuals they are, they wanted to SAVE the old copper piping that went from the heat pump to the condenser! Yelling at me about how expensive it is... I thought and know for a fact that its old (well 5 years) and full of crap from being opened up outside for 8 months! I didn't think it would be worth salvaging at all!
    ----------------------------------------------------

he said the lines were open to atmosphere for long time!!!! i wouldnt reuse if my life depended on it(actually, if someone says im gonna cap you if you dont use these, i would!)

How expensive is copper pipe in your area, I know around here the whole lineset complete with insulation would be less than $75.00. Doesn't sound too expensive to me. Tell them to take the old **** to the recyclers. All it takes is a couple spiders and a beatle or two to destroy your system. Start from scratch or suffer the consequences in the near future.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Lets see

1) you are going to install a new system at a cost of at least $-,000.00

2) you are willing to ruin that $-,000.00 unit by saving $xx.00

sure I would save the 75.00 and take gamble weather or not there is debris in the lines

EXACTLY! tell that guy exactly where he can shove, i mean use, that copper tubing.

Hmm

Well I talked to my mom tonight. "Well so we need the kitchen light fixture and...." I interrupted and went straight to the point. I wanted to talk about the AC installation. She said that my uncle or whatever he is (the AC guy) questioned why the perfectly good pipe was removed, I guess it was after that when he talked about how we could reuse it (despite it laying in the sand). Like I said this guy doesn't know crap about HVAC and just sits in the office making money. They (reason unknown) placed a FAKE condenser unit out back until they can get out there to install the real thing as well as the air handler. Then their was confusion over the type of unit to get, he said he'd bring out a 4 ton unit (which I think my mom thought was the unit that was once had) which is wrong...We once had a 3 ton unit and even that was overkill because that also included the side of the house that was supposed to be enclosed for more living space (which has yet to be done and probably wont be). So I told her about that, hopefully we don't get a 4 ton unit! At any rate i'll do anything in my power to NOT let them reuse that copper tubing! Additionally I will post pictures of the shady installation, not in the wall of pride but in the wall of shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast