Thread: Fans to blow outside air INTO attic?

Post Likes
    I have been considering installing a couple of 8" duct booster fans in my attic attached to vents at the top of my screen porch ceiling to blow some of this much cooler air into the attic. This section of the attic is in an addition (about 16' x 25'), that is blocked off from the main attic of the house by a sheet of OSB. It has ridge vent and soffit vents but is still hot as hell. It just happens to be my wife's dressing room and parlor (yikes).

Are there any potential problems with this application? It would create a positive pressure in the space theoretically assisting the removal of existing hot air, and the air being brought in is much cooler than the air in the space. There is are two long duct runs that terminate in this room as well so the decrease in temp will help out in heat transfer to the ductwork as well as the room below. Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    Somebody, anybody out there???? (Already 30 replies to a thread posted after mine, so.....)

If it is a dumb idea just tell me. I'm tired of roasting my ass up in that attic already. I have spent the last three days straightening out a god-awful duct install performed by a "friend". Finally getting some air to the new addition. Installed sheet metal elbows for all 90 degree turns, and patched numerous leaks, rerouted supply ducts on the chase (he had longest runs attached to opposite side of chase so the air had to do a 180 degree turn through flexible duct to even start to run.

I'm just trying to know when to stop . Thanks!!!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    If the air you blow into the attic can't escape easily ,it will force air from the attic ,down walls ,cracks,etc., into the home.

Passive ridge ventilation is what I'd use.

Post Likes
    It might work. Did you seal around the boots where the supply ducts and ceiling drywall meet? That's important.

I'd try a radiant barrier. It costs almost nothing if you just use ordinary aluminum foil.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/radiant/

[Edited by fat bob on 06-23-2005 at 03:03 PM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dash
    If the air you blow into the attic can't escape easily ,it will force air from the attic ,down walls ,cracks,etc., into the home.

Passive ridge ventilation is what I'd use.
    It sounds like he already has passive vents.

My opinion is that a duct booster would be so weak that it won't cause problems, but will allow the air to move through a bit more.

I would try it, but put it on a good thermostat so you don't run it when you don't need to.

Radiant barrier might help, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in