Thread: Open condensing unit...

Post Likes
    Bear with me on this. I have a customer that has commissioned me to supply a coil and lines to his existing Lennox resitential split system. The Condensing unit is eight years old, and has only seen two actual years of service, and has remained in storage for six years. The Condenser sat in a garage for that long. The Suction line service valve was not only closed, but the short stub had a cap and electrical tape applied to it. However, sadly, the liquid line service valve was open... and short stub was open to atmoshpere.

Six years of breathing air. It's a virtual brand-new unit.

Questions I'd like to pose to the panel of internet judges.

1. My intentions are to Remove the compressor, drain the oil (After I've tested that the compressor will actually turn over) and replace the oil, install an oversized liquid-line drier... and run it into a deep vacuum of aprox. 24 hours... once the system is installed... new line set, new coil.

Q. 1. Has anyone tried this and met with success or failure?

Q. 2. Should I use a suction line drier too?

Q. 3. Would you even go this far?

I've installed quite a few burn-out kits on some larger refrigeration systems in the past... back in the 70's and 80's, back then the time invested was worth it... even sometimes today too. Most cats with old split condensers in this situation... I'd just tell them to replace the unit. But this is a spanking new unit... and would like to save this cat some coin.

Ok... hit me... what's your thoughts?
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ricm
    Bear with me on this. I have a customer that has commissioned me to supply a coil and lines to his existing Lennox resitential split system. The Condensing unit is eight years old, and has only seen two actual years of service, and has remained in storage for six years. The Condenser sat in a garage for that long. The Suction line service valve was not only closed, but the short stub had a cap and electrical tape applied to it. However, sadly, the liquid line service valve was open... and short stub was open to atmoshpere.

Six years of breathing air. It's a virtual brand-new unit.

Questions I'd like to pose to the panel of internet judges.

1. My intentions are to Remove the compressor, drain the oil (After I've tested that the compressor will actually turn over) and replace the oil, install an oversized liquid-line drier... and run it into a deep vacuum of aprox. 24 hours... once the system is installed... new line set, new coil.

Q. 1. Has anyone tried this and met with success or failure?

Q. 2. Should I use a suction line drier too?

Q. 3. Would you even go this far?

I've installed quite a few burn-out kits on some larger refrigeration systems in the past... back in the 70's and 80's, back then the time invested was worth it... even sometimes today too. Most cats with old split condensers in this situation... I'd just tell them to replace the unit. But this is a spanking new unit... and would like to save this cat some coin.

Ok... hit me... what's your thoughts?
    You got a 50/50 chance,
    Q. 1. I tried this, Had a open system for 3 yrs, Triple evac, oversized LL drier and a bottle of acid away. Unit ran for 5 yrs then died a horrible short to ground type death.

Q. 2. Wouldn't be a bad idea @ startup, Would remove it after a couple weeks.

Q. 3. I went that far for family, On a customer I'd have the h.o. sign a waiver of NO warranty & collect c.o.d.

Post Likes
    RICM
    If you have worked with him before explain the problem with removing moisture. If he’s a new customer refuse to do the job. All your going to have is an unhappy customer.

Q-1 75% of the time “problem’s” Some small, Some Large.

Q-2 Yes and change it 2 or 3 times

Q-3 It’s not worth the extra labor. In the long run it’s cheaper to buy a new condenser with full warranty.

Post Likes
    RUN AWAY. nothing but headaches for you. if he pays and it takes a shit in a year he's gonna be mad. tell him to bite the bullet once. don't waste your time or his money.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    horse crap.
    just 'no warranty' the install and git 'er done.

Post Likes
    Interesting turn of events.... He thinks the investment in 'trying' is worth the risk... I even negotiated the oil change, oversized drier, and time spent on the vac pump at 48 hours... AND a pumpdown and filter/drier change after two weeks running... and NO WARRANTY... I'm going to put in a sight-glass too... so he can keep an eye on it, and worry about his investment with no strings attached.

I'll run two pumps in tandem, and change oil in both after 24 hours... and re-pump in tandem another 24... I'm using this scenario to train my two apprentices... have them come up with the reasons for why we are going this route.

Worse case scenario... it fails down the road... the customer agreed in writing... and we tracked the progress... the apprentices learned something. Mad or not... the customer signed on the dotted line. If he gives us greif... HE'S FIRED!"
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes

hey

What the purpose of vacuum for 24 hours. You said you would install a filter dryer this will take care of moister in system. You dont need to do 24 hours..

regards,
    Kelvin

Post Likes
    hey i'm a 1st year apprentice and my thoughts on this are replace compressor purge system with n2 evacuate to standard fit s/l drier fit l/l drier and charge. You could even use the triple evac method for a burn out which would be a good idea,takes longer but hey the apprentices will love it.

Post Likes

run run run

When some one ask me to install something that they all ready have.. I give them a big price.. so they can say no thank you. I put my stuff in so, I dont have to come back.

That like me going to a resturaunt and asking them to cook my eggs and bacon.

regards,
    Kelvin

Post Likes
    JUST INSTALL IT USE DRYERS PULL GOOD VACCUME AND GIVE NO WARRANTY . AND I BETT IT WILL GIVE GOOD SERVICE.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Your discharge valves prevented any moisture from getting into the oil just add new drier, evac and let her rip. No need to soak the guy.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    let us know how this turns out.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    What if there's a gallon of water in the unit, what if there's a drop? This is where a micron gauge would show you where you are, evac to 300 microns and check that it will hold below 500 its the only way to know the system is OK and dry. The filter dryer would be worthless if the system contains more moisture than its capacity which is rated in drops of moisture and decreases as the operating temprature increases.

[Edited by hvac-tech-lane on 06-18-2005 at 02:14 AM]

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I concede to the micron gauge idea. Why dont you check for moisture before you hook it up.(with a micron gauge)
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in