Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stink bugs

stink bugs

has anyone had issues resulting from stink bug infestation?

we had a customers infinity totally clogged with them.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Our area is one of the worst affected it seems. On the same roof, I had two RTU's that were completely infested. Same problem on both units. The darn things got in behind the coils of the indoor blower contactors and caused them to only partially pull in.

I've also had them infested in the heating sections of a few RTU's. You think they smell bad normally? They smell even worse when cooked!

I've heard that they try to find the warmest places and they usually end up in flues, exhaust fans, or anywhere they can squeeze into. And they can squeeze into just about anything.

Whats the best way of getting rid of them, coil cleaner or calling an exterminator?

EPA 608 certified: Universal

Our area, and my house in particular, has been inundated with them. I haven't heard from my contractors about having had problems with them in the systems yet, but I can see where that will be coming soon.

I've kinda learned to live with them in the house. I thwack them out of the air and let the cats play with them when they hit the ground. I poison the cracks and crevices around windows where they get into the most so that when it gets warm and they do come out, they either die soon or are easy to vacuum up.

Unfortunately they drive my wife nuts, so I have to constantly hear shrieks about having to do something about my little buddies.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Horrible in my area too...I think they will probably drive me ape sh*t one of these days! I've found that soapy water kills them or seems to anyways! (Dawn dish soap)

Yep we had an infestation of box cutter bugs one year, dish soap water in a spray bottle was the best weapon to use.

EPA 608 certified: Universal

I have chickens in the yard, and I think they eat them, they eat just about anything. We have only had a couple of stinkbugs in the house. I have heard Guineas are great for all kinds of bugs, especially fleas and ticks, if you can stand their noise.

Robin, I'm surprised you are using poison, don't you react badly to chemicals? Maybe you should caulk those cracks.

I have not seen Stink bugs cause a problem in equipment yet, but there was a local news story last month that every old lady must have seen, they all ask me about stink bugs in their furnace.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by bja105 View Post
    I have chickens in the yard, and I think they eat them, they eat just about anything. We have only had a couple of stinkbugs in the house. I have heard Guineas are great for all kinds of bugs, especially fleas and ticks, if you can stand their noise.

Robin, I'm surprised you are using poison, don't you react badly to chemicals? Maybe you should caulk those cracks.

I have not seen Stink bugs cause a problem in equipment yet, but there was a local news story last month that every old lady must have seen, they all ask me about stink bugs in their furnace.
    Yes, the poisons are a double edged sword for me. These are bug poisons I bought a few years ago when I was going to Iraq. They are formulated with no additional odors, but they still do have the smells of the poison ingredients. That odor is not as bad as scented odors are for me, but I still do have to keep the windows open and stay away from it directly when I use it.

When I say the cracks, I am talking about a massive amount of exposed wood trim in my house. All of the windows and a few walls in most every room have exposed pine planking. It was one of the features we liked because it gives a sort of cabin look to the interior of the home. Unfortunately, there is no way to seal all of it without taking away from the rustic look of it.

We normally don't see many stink bugs on the West coast, but spiders are another story all together.

I have been using large dog flea collars in control cabinets for years. I am originally from the boat industry and worked on many RV's and boats that sit a lot.

Just throw a few chunks of flea collar in the cabinet near entrances and they seem to stay away. I have not had a single contactor failure on equipment with the collars, but have on non maintained equipment

I normally replace them in the fall...Don't know if it will help you or not...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    We normally don't see many stink bugs on the West coast, but spiders are another story all together.

I have been using large dog flea collars in control cabinets for years. I am originally from the boat industry and worked on many RV's and boats that sit a lot.

Just throw a few chunks of flea collar in the cabinet near entrances and they seem to stay away. I have not had a single contactor failure on equipment with the collars, but have on non maintained equipment

I normally replace them in the fall...Don't know if it will help you or not...

GT
    Normally, we don't have an issue with stink bugs here on the East Coast. I never got the whole story of why, but last year we were inundated with the critters in a massive invasion of them.

Other then being annoying, I don't see much destruction from them. I have noticed that a few times before the cold weather hit that my yard would be filled with birds who seemed to be feasting on the ones on the outside.

It's when they get inside that's a real pain. They can hide in the tiniest of cracks and hibernated until it gets warm enough to wake them, and then they come out and crawl and fly around.

Aside from being kind of ugly, they are not at all harmful. I don't even think their defensive odor is offensive. It's sort of a musky smell that they emit when they are in danger or being attacked or when you crush them.

For all we know, they may have proliferated so much in order to gobble up some kind of mite that is even more destructive.

I just love the way liberal media tries to inject the dreaded Global Warming or Climatic Change into everything. What the hell does this blurb even mean?;
    Why are they multiplying so fast?
    It's unclear. Some entomologists think last winter's heavy snowstorms coupled with the hot summer provided ideal conditions for the bugs. Others attribute the growing numbers to a decrease in the use of heavy agricultural pesticides and an increase in imports from far-off lands.
    http://theweek.com/article/index/207...ion-stink-bugs

Otherwise, it's not a bad article on stink bugs.

By starting out with saying; "It's unclear", everything forthcoming is pure speculation. However, there are implications that we have never had a winter of heavy snowstorms followed by a hot summer or that we have only recently stopped using heavy agricultural pesticides, both of which are completely wrong.

OH! An increase in imports from "far-off" lands might have something to do with it since it was mentioned in the beginning of the article.

GT thanks for the Dog Flea collar info , Spiders have become a problem up this way last few summers , SPIDER spray works but very short term.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Unfortunately they drive my wife nuts, so I have to constantly hear shrieks about having to do something about my little buddies.
    Robo- There is a simple solution. If you don't own one, buy a cheap dustbuster. Drop mothballs in it and then tell your wife that any time she sees a stinkbug, she should suck it up with the dustbuster.

There is a trap door on those units and the bugs can't get out. What's better is that the mothballs will offgas and kill the bugs without further intervention (although in reality it takes a day or two).

I set a dustbuster up to be used only for stinkbugs and the women in my life have no problem dispatching them themselves now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast