Angry

When I turn on the A/C the house never cools down. For example the house temp is 80 and I set the thermostat to 70, the temperature never goes down at all(unless it gets cooler outside). I checked the vents to see if any COLD air was coming out. The air was flowing but it was very weak and semi-cool. I looked at the Trane unit outside and I noticed that the lines that go into the house were covered with ice. I turned off the A/C to let the ice thaw for about 2 days. I then turn the A/C back on again, weak/semi-cool air flows out but it is not COLD air. Before I call the technicians to try and get a solution, I would like to get some opinions to see if maybe I'm leaving something out or I'm overlooking something. Thanks.

Make sure your filter is clean. If it isn't horribly dirty pick up the phone and call your local A/C guys.

Originally posted by habiib
    When I turn on the A/C the house never cools down. For example the house temp is 80 and I set the thermostat to 70, the temperature never goes down at all(unless it gets cooler outside). I checked the vents to see if any COLD air was coming out. The air was flowing but it was very weak and semi-cool. I looked at the Trane unit outside and I noticed that the lines that go into the house were covered with ice. I turned off the A/C to let the ice thaw for about 2 days. I then turn the A/C back on again, weak/semi-cool air flows out but it is not COLD air. Before I call the technicians to try and get a solution, I would like to get some opinions to see if maybe I'm leaving something out or I'm overlooking something. Thanks.
    You definitely need a pro. period.

Sounds like you may be super low on refridgerant and it is evaporating before it gets to the coil. Just a guess- no first hand knowledge.

possibly dirty filter/coil, low charge, bad blower, return air blockage.

Originally posted by moe-air
    possibly dirty filter/coil, low charge, bad blower, return air blockage.
    Be careful not to get overconfident with this website and try to check all these things on your own.

If it was your blower or blockage, your coil would freeze, no the entire outside liquid line.

The liquid line is evaporating before it gets anywhere near the fan, reducing those as likely culprits.

Trust me, call a pro- you WILL make it worse.

Was it both lines, or just the larger one.

If you haven't had it service for some years, now would be a good time.

But, DON'T call and tell them you just want your unit serviced, tell them it isn't cooling at all.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere
    Was it both lines, or just the larger one.

If you haven't had it service for some years, now would be a good time.

But, DON'T call and tell them you just want your unit serviced, tell them it isn't cooling at all.

I agree with that-

I would be odd if the vapor (return) line froze even though it should be insulated.

Solution?

I am experiencing the same problems you described with my Trane. I was curious if you discovered what the problem actually was. Thanks!