+ Reply to Thread

Thread: resume help

Post Likes

resume help

I am in my last 8 weeks of school at my local community college. I retired last March from the Navy, where I was an Avionics Electronic Technician. Prior to joining the Navy I worked construction. I was wondering how much of my Navy experience I should include in my resume, and is my prior construction experience worth being included.

Post Likes
    yes it is. half of hvac is electrical and trouble shooting electric signal, the other half is the construction side. so it's worth it to mentioned that you could trouble shoot electrical problem. if you could trouble shoot radar system electronics ( I'm assuming u have done it or involved in it) control board should be the same or even a cake walk for you.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Shark View Post
    I am in my last 8 weeks of school at my local community college. I retired last March from the Navy, where I was an Avionics Electronic Technician. Prior to joining the Navy I worked construction. I was wondering how much of my Navy experience I should include in my resume, and is my prior construction experience worth being included.
    Im confussed,are you looking to send out resumes in the HVAC/R field????im guessing yes.,nevertheless,add anything a future employer should need to know about you!what type of construction expierence,and what skills you have in both constuction and avionics electronics...as far as navy experience as long as you were honorably discharged,absolutely allaborate on anything that you feel is important,in addition list any memberships to groups, clubs,and intrests you have.it will set you appart from the others.

GOOD LUKCK!!!!

Post Likes
    Yes I would add both of those things on your resume. They would be good things for the employer to know and may give you the advantage over someone else.

Post Likes
    what has radar got to do with hvac? both are totally different technology. at least even to mention it, unless you are talking about a huge massive gargantuan million dollars satellite radar missile detector or guidance system, its all just plug and shoot kind of electronic system nowadays for easy installation and troubleshooting. HVAC is way different man. you can't just plug and shoot with it.

In my own opinion, mentioned about the electricity part.

Post Likes
    sounds like your comfortable with trouble shooting and reading a digital meter and how to be organized during construction jobs all a plus on a resume and mint when you sit down at an interview especially if the SM is x-Navy.you'll slide right into control work someplace. good luck
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdel View Post
    unless you are talking about a huge massive gargantuan million dollars satellite radar missile detector or guidance system
    No, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about the disposable kind of radar and missile guidance systems that only cost like 50 bucks, tops. You're right, fixing an air conditioner is WAY harder and more technical than those things.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Well electronics are just plug and play type, designing in PCB using multi layers fabrications, how else do you trouble shoot that?

See Rob agrees with me, imagine you have to climb up and down the roof or basement and play spidey dangling in the mid air, with multi-meter in one hand and blazing touch in the other, screw driver between your teeth and I have a Diploma in Electronics!

Welcome to the trade good man!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdel View Post
    what has radar got to do with hvac? both are totally different technology. at least even to mention it, unless you are talking about a huge massive gargantuan million dollars satellite radar missile detector or guidance system, its all just plug and shoot kind of electronic system nowadays for easy installation and troubleshooting. HVAC is way different man. you can't just plug and shoot with it.

In my own opinion, mentioned about the electricity part.
    I mean, if you could trouble shoot those, you should be able to trouble shoot electric signal on furnaces. come on, half of what we do is trouble shooting/repair anyway and PM.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    BergerMech Rob in the Navy the resistors cost 50 bucks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in