I am having a 2 ton Carrier Infinity 17 heat pump installed in the next few days. I am a bit concerned about the lack of clearance between the heat pump and the surrounding deck and house. The unit I am replacing is about 24" x 27". The Infinity is about 24" x 37". The area that the new unit will be installed is about 40" x 40". That doesn't leave much air space around the unit. The installer does not think this will be an issue, but I am wondering if there are any general guidelines for the minimum amount space around the heat pump?

air space

when the unit gets there it comes with paper work in the package with the unit and that info should be covered in the info if not we normally try to get between 12 and 24 inches from structure. if it is close on only two sides it shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks coolcray3. I was just looking for a guideline, and 12 inches sounds about like what I expected. Unfortunately, there will be structure around 3 of the four sides. This concerned me enough to have the technician come out and measure again. I might want to think about removing part of my raised decking so that there is more air space. I would not want the heat pump air flow to be restricted. That is something I can do after they install the unit. I have searched for information on what might happen if there was not enough airflow, but haven't found any. I would think it would be harder on the fan motor, and perhaps even lead to a heat build up around the unit. Time will tell. It is over 90 here in NoVA today, and as luck would have it, the air temperature will be much cooler once the a/c is installed later this week.