Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tai chi chuan

Tai chi chuan

Anybody practicing this? I'm going to start the 1st week of April. I'm doing it for the health aspects, which I understand to be numerous. From what I've been reading, there's really something to it.
    Just wondering if anybody has had any results they care to share.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Anybody practicing this? I'm going to start the 1st week of April. I'm doing it for the health aspects, which I understand to be numerous. From what I've been reading, there's really something to it.
    Just wondering if anybody has had any results they care to share.
    Breaking out the leotards and slippers for another go at getting into shape, hope all goes well. Let us know how things go. I sure hope for your sake the place is air conditioned, remember why you put away the leotards and slippers the last time … sweat spots in all the wrong places … oh, or was it that the other guys made fun of your poo bear leotards … maybe you should buy a new set … maybe like say deputy dog ones … there cool, yogi bear ones too. Well good luck Dangle.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    Breaking out the leotards and slippers for another go at getting into shape, hope all goes well. Let us know how things go. I sure hope for your sake the place is air conditioned, remember why you put away the leotards and slippers the last time … sweat spots in all the wrong places … oh, or was it that the other guys made fun of your poo bear leotards … maybe you should buy a new set … maybe like say deputy dog ones … there cool, yogi bear ones too. Well good luck Dangle.

The only known picture of that in existence. Good thing the stains aren't visible.

Most any of the body movement arts is good for health and metal well being. Yoga is a prime example and best for body movements and calmness. Your selection is one of the many available that also have a fighting agenda attached to it. Depending on your instructor, they all have their own techniques and methods, you will experience healthy body movement to a degree but will have a degree of defense/offense included.

That may or may not turn you off. Yoga, in my knowledge, remains the purest form of heatlhy motion beneficial for the body and mind. They work together, typically, ya know.

My favorite is Aikido. It's also base on body movement and centerness of the mind, for lack of a better term. Some forms are hard and some are soft once again depending on the Sensi, or instructor.

Try different forms of these arts to see which one might fit. One hint that I look for is if the class has a good percentage of females then it's a good class.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Most any of the body movement arts is good for health and metal well being. Yoga is a prime example and best for body movements and calmness. Your selection is one of the many available that also have a fighting agenda attached to it. Depending on your instructor, they all have their own techniques and methods, you will experience healthy body movement to a degree but will have a degree of defense/offense included.

That may or may not turn you off. Yoga, in my knowledge, remains the purest form of healthy motion beneficial for the body and mind. They work together, typically, ya know.

My favorite is Aikido. It's also base on body movement and centerness of the mind, for lack of a better term. Some forms are hard and some are soft once again depending on the Sensi, or instructor.

Try different forms of these arts to see which one might fit. One hint that I look for is if the class has a good percentage of females then it's a good class.
    I'm old enough to be considered a senior now(57). So, it'll be a "soft" philosophy I'm pretty sure, as the classes will be at my local senior center. Yoga, I really don't think I'm flexible enough for that. I figure, the self defense, is just an added bonus to the health benefits. Plus, I try to be armed most of the time.
    I'm exploring some of the Eastern ways of body, mind, spirit ways of thinking. Seems like our Western ways of healing, only know how to treat ailments with pills. I only want to take chemicals as a last resort, which I am now. Blood pressure & thyroid. I started vegetable juicing 6 months, trying to regenerate my liver. I know I've dropped almost 40 pounds from just doing that alone, without any exercise program at all. I'm going in for some tests in May to see if/what my juicing has done for the old liver. I know I feel better even if it hasn't made a full repair yet. I think a lifestyle change is in store for me. And none too soon either.

Good for you. Age doesn't make any difference except in the ego oriented martial arts such as some to most Karate.

You are discounting Yoga for some reason. Yoga is an art where you are encouraged to move at your own ability and rate. A lot of men don't like it because they think it's a chick thing. It's not and the women in the class could care who you are or your age.

To be fair to yourself at least take one month of Yoga classes from someone local. They will welcome you with open arms. It they don't then it's not the right place for you.

There are many forms of what you are looking at. Your art form will require precise movement and exagrated moves, which could be uncomfortale and turn you off.

Seriously, give Yoga a try somewhere local and with a class/instructor that you like. Some of the classes and instructors are "way" out and they are on their own planet. That also includes your art form.

BTW, many Yoga classes have people in their 80's. Good luck in whatever you do.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

I'm not writing yoga off, it's just that I'm still at least 50 pounds over what I should be. I was serious when I said I don't think I'm flexible enough.
    My thyroid level was so low, as to be non existent. "They", just last month, pretty much have dialed in my dosage. For the last 2 or 3 years, I've been so lethargic, I could barely get off the couch. In the last couple weeks, I've been able to get up at 4:30-5:00 AM, and walk the dog again. Like I used to. It's almost like things were 10 years ago. I realize that we all slow down the older we get but, with my thyroid as out of wack as much as it was, I know what it's like to be one of the walking dead now. And it's no fun.

Seriously, you don't have to bend over or do anymore then you are capable of in Yoga. Just wanted to make that clear. In your form or any Thi Chi you are going to have positions to do which probably will be more difficult then any position in Yoga.

Oh, and if you do go to Yoga get in the back of the class. I always do and that way I don't stand out or at least think everyone else is looking at a beached whale!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Seriously, you don't have to bend over or do anymore then you are capable of in Yoga. Just wanted to make that clear. In your form or any Thi Chi you are going to have positions to do which probably will be more difficult then any position in Yoga.

Oh, and if you do go to Yoga get in the back of the class. I always do and that way I don't stand out or at least think everyone else is looking at a beached whale!
    I did not know that. For some reason, I thought you had to be some sort of contortionist.

So, I guess you've been involved with Yoga, or Tai chi? Have you seen any health benifits from either? I'm assuming, yes.

And honestly, like most folks, I guess I really have though Yoga was more female oriented before you said anything. I zeroed in on Tai, because most of what I've ever seen, was older Asian men & women doing it.

From now on, anything do do with my health, I'll be keeping an open mind. Gender shouldn't even enter the picture.

On PBS there is a TV program with a lady Yoga instructor in her 50's or so that gives a one hour program on Yoga. A number of her students of all age ranges and men and women talk about their change on the show.

The big thing I find about a more natural way then medicine of taking care of yourself is the expectation that immediately results will take place. Very small steps are produced over a period of time with the natural arts.

We are use to and have been conditioned to going to a doctor who gives us a drug that acts immediately and covers up the symptoms of the problem which let's us think we are OK.

I have found over the years the biggest challenge that I have had is the one I take in the Dojo, or the studio, with me. Yoda actually said this in Star Wars! And that is the judgements that I place on myself of limitations, I should be doing better, I look like a fool.....actually, sometimes I do.....but I have learned to laugh at myself, and I'm certainly not doing the moves right or as good as the other people.

It's you ego taking in an attempt to keep control over you and to keep you in your present situation. Listen to it then do what you need to do anyway. Learn that when the good old ego starts putting you down that is a sign that you are doing the right things. Eventually it will shut-up..until there is another crisis.

Just try it out or whatever form you want to. But make a three month commitment once you find the method you want to use. Go and pratice especially when you don't want to.

It took a long time to mess things up. I expect it to take a longer time, to undo the damage I've caused to myself. So, when I committed to do this, I'm in it for the long haul. At the minimum,I'm thinking 6 months, to a year to see any applicable results. As I said earlier, it's time for a lifestyle change. What I'm doing now, isn't helping a thing.

Thanks for sharing with me.

What changes are you hoping for?
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    What changes are you hoping for?
    Easy ones at first. I'd like to get the mind & body in harmony, and then try for better circulation, better balance, lower blood pressure, reduced stress, maybe some quality sleep. Something I haven't had the pleasure of, in over a decade now. I don't think that's asking for anything miraculous. Is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast