Newbie poster with a couple of questions

Hybrid View

To any other posters on here, I am a newbie poster and have a couple of questions that I hope you can provide me with answers to. About two years ago, my parents got a Tempstar air conditioning unit installed in their home. It is cooling okay, but the outdoor unit is kind of weather beaten already. Anyway, one of the questions I wanted to ask is does anyone know where I could get a replacement name tag for the outdoor unit. I think it fell off last fall when the house was getting pressure washed prior to getting painted. The model number is TCA436. Also, does anyone have any experience with fin combs? If so, do they work well? Several of the fins are bent in on the unit and I wanted to try to straighten them out if possible. Finally, is there any product out there that could possibly remove rust from the unit? The fan is a little bit rusted. The area underneath the fan is also a little bit rusted. I know these questions might be a little stupid, but if anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The only way to do fin combs right is to know how many fins per inch your particular coil has. Otherwise, you'll crush more fins than you'll straighten out. Stick a ruler lengthwise across the coil and count how many fins land within an inch, then get a comb with that fins per inch count. Even then you have to be careful not to bend or crush fins.

As for the other items, to me a condenser box is just gonna look weatherbeaten after time. It's just the lay of the land. What's more important is to keep the coils clean and don't let incompetent boobs work on it. If you do you'll get a sparkly new box a lot quicker than an old beater that was never polished but was maintained well, mechanically.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

You know, you could always throw a coat of wax on the painted surfaces once in a while. (Sometimes it even says that in the instructions. Imagine never washing or waxing you car and what it would look like and then realized AC units dont have clear coat.

If its just a logo thats missing.... so what, if its the rating plate, thats another issue since the rating plate cannot be replaced and without it, there isnt a warranty.

Fan rust, would indicate a restrictive airflow, when a fan motor operates it is trying to get across the coil when the coil is ladden with dirt, grease, grass, or if the unit is located to close to any outdoor objects like walls, or fences, the fan works harder, rotates faster, when it does it runs hotter, the oil inside thins in viscosity it will leak around the gasket, newer motors aren`t designed like old , and can`t have oil added. When it leaks out enough oil the motor will rust.

That being said, have the coils cleaned by a proffessional with acid, once they are cleaned, if you are dead set on getting another name tag, call a Tempstar Distributer in your area and ask if they will give or sell you one. As far as the coils, if you have never used a comb or haven`t used one atleast 10 dozen times, DON'T! It is easy to tear your coils, I haven`t ever seen a coil that was absolutely perfect even on new installs, If you can`t live with it, try a butter knife, slowly use it to seprate the damaged area! Just my .02

Thank you for responding to my post and for giving me advice about possibly using a fin comb. I really believe that the outdoor unit should be cleaned by a professional, but money is extremely tight right now. I just worry that the unit, despite cooling okay, won't last much longer if after two years it's so weatherbeaten already. I really wish my parents had gotten a Trane unit, but oh well. One more question though. Where is the rating plate located?

steel wool the rust and prime. you could try combing but be careful . gentle hose water for cleaning condenser. if only a few fins are bent its probly fine but if alot are bent might need replacement