Thread: crawspace wet

I just happen to find this forum today and are in hopes that someone on here can help me. I will try and give a full picture of the problem.
    I have a 1500 sq. foot rancher and I have lived in this house for 10 years and for the last 3 years I have had water pudding when we have weather like it has been for the past week here in va. (rain,hot,hum.)
    Three yeas ago when this happen I was told to close all but one vent and place a large fan under the house and that did dry it up, last year I just started a fan early in the year and it stayed dry. now this year I started the fan (maybe not early enough) and now it is wet again. right how I have two fans running to try to dry it out.
    I have a two part questions, (1) what is a quick fix for right now?(2) what can I do to really fix the problem for good?
    thanks for any help
    dennis

Where is the water coming from? Condensation dripping from a/c equipment or water intrustion?

teddy bear, there is no a/c under my house at all, I had had b-dry company check it our under the house and they tell me that there is no water running under the footing at. ( and I knew that) its all coming from hum. It is getting bad enough now that the insulation is starting to get wet.
    kwtrapper

From your description, condensation is form on the cool floor above the insulation and etc.
    Plastic on the earth, close the vents to outside, dehumidify to <50%RH. It takes about 50 pints of dehumdification per 1,200 sqft. Check out Santa Fe dehus. thermastor.com Local a/c contractor can sell.

teddy bear, if I understand you right, I need a dehumidify to go under the house. should I cover the whole ground or should I leave about 6 in. from the footing bare ground?
    thanks
    kwtrapper

Any uncover earth will evaporate moisture to the space, increasing the moisture load. Some suggest attaching the plastic to the walls and tapping the seams of the plastic. Maintian less 50%RH is ideal.