labor ready, manpower, etc...

I am curious what folks think of these organizations that provide labor for a price? I see labor ready has offices all over the place these days, and wonder about them?

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    I am curious what folks think of these organizations that provide labor for a price? I see labor ready has offices all over the place these days, and wonder about them?
    Well there is really no "way" you can actually tell if you get what you think you hired until at least a day on the job.

I mean I have asked for for someone who has HVAC skills and agreed to pay more but then I find out he doesn't knows how to install and insulate duct or braze copper. Had to let him go. Sometimes you get lucky but if all you need is a laborer then you hope he will work.

I have had better luck checking on amigos hanging outside a Home Depot for laborers and I know enough unemployed skilled installers nowadays to call on them, cost less also. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Fast growing business around here...flat rate of pay and no hassles with insurance, payroll, taxes or benefits...pick them up and drop them as needed, no explanations or apologies. I worked for one for awhile and was assigned everything BUT what I was qualified to do...hauled rolls of carpet padding and hung off the back of trash trucks mostly...but...it was great to bring home a bit of coin every day at a time when there was little coin to be found.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

I worked for one when I would come home from college. Random work...one day unloading trucks the next day shoveling dirt. Conversations at lunch mainly centered around when everyone was last in County (jail) Defiantly not my crowd of people, but it was good beer moneys.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    I worked for one when I would come home from college. Random work...one day unloading trucks the next day shoveling dirt. Conversations at lunch mainly centered around when everyone was last in County (jail) Defiantly not my crowd of people, but it was good beer moneys.
    Hey I only tried them once 20 years ago and asked for and was promised a skilled HVAC Tech and got a gofer. Didn't mess with them again. Perhaps they have improved don''t know and care don't need them anymore.

I think they have some laborers but I don't think I could trust them to give me a skilled worker. They just take what ever the applicant says and they present him or her as such. No guarantee. Thank you, thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

What if they actually provided a skilled person who could do x? lets say you need a guy who can do I dont know, hot water heating piping, maybe propress. you hire him, and supply him with pipe, materials and the press machine, he puts up say 100 feet a day, and the next day you can not use his services because you dont need him. is this valuable? but then you get a big job, and keep the same guy for months. same rate of pay, same quality of work. would this be viable in the open market?