Thread: New Install - Appalling workmanship please Help

Post Likes
    I recently had a new 2.5 ton carrier central a/c with ductwork installed in early May and I am shocked by the quality of the install. Need help on how to deal with the contractor. I picked a firm in norther nj with a good reputation and they have been in the business as they say
    since 1900.

I went into the attic on Sunday to check out their work and I was shocked. First of all the air handler (where the seams meet)is sucking air in and the sides are not aligned. There is air leaking out of many places where the air handler attaches to the main trunk ( which is duct board - and I'm not happy with that). The rest of the duct work is flexduct, which I don't mind, but it's installed terrible. There are sharp turns everywhere including where it's attached to the vent, a lot of excess line (I thought the flex needs to be cut to an accurate size and stretched
    out without much slack.) The return 14 inch flex duct is attached to the airhandler at a very tight angle ( which I assume isn't correct. The return line is also crushing the flex duct that goes into my bedroom.

The ac does get the temp down to the set temp but most rooms feel hot and seem very stuffy. In the day the system is cycling on and off almost ever 10 mins. I have calls into the installer and am currently waiting for a call back.

I didn't go with the cheapest bid (you get what you pay for)
    and I was expecting a quality install. I would like opinions on how to deal with the installers. I don't trust the entire system. Ideally, I would want the whole install done again. Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the return needs a metal ell and the supply boots need to be 45* or have metal ells on them.

All seams/joints need to be sealed with mastic.

Hard to be specific without looking at it but it sounds like it mainly needs sealed with no air leaks.

Post Likes
    What bbk said. In addition, I like to see flex duct strapped and stretched to minimize restrictions to airflow.

Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Pics?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses. sorry I do not have any pics.
    I'll try.

Thanks for the help

Post Likes
    We need pics.

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I would ask the installing contractor to come and look(owner). Often times the (owner) does not know what his guys are doing and may want to have a look-see! I am sure the install can be neatened up and sealed. Duct board is common.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes

Who is it?

Can you name the contractor in northern NJ so that I can avoid them?

Post Likes

Test Report + Air Flow Check

Originally posted by bbk
    Sounds like the return needs a metal ell and the supply boots need to be 45* or have metal ells on them.

All seams/joints need to be sealed with mastic.

Hard to be specific without looking at it but it sounds like it mainly needs sealed with no air leaks.
    At-this-point, A/C company owner SHOULD commit to having an independent, certified balancing firm perform his normal testing and provide a report.

However, chances of that may be Slim-to-None.

Ask for Full Start-Up Report performed by the A/C Company and don't pay in full until you 'check Air Flows yourself' if A/C firm owner does not provide an independent Balancer or has one of his own technicians perform Full Testing.

Leaks are an OBVIOUS "DEATH of Sorts" to Performance.

If not Satisfied, talk to your lawyer friend.

[Edited by dan sw fl on 06-15-2005 at 07:14 AM]
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    That may be true Dan,however we dont know what was spell out in the contract as to what was being done for the money.

Can we see the contract? It should be stated as to what was
    going to be done and how.

Post Likes
    Post pics & let the owner know you are here and are about to publish a sample of his work...

Post Likes
    Hopefully, you can get the boss out there to look at the job and correct the problems with it.
    Good luck.

Post Likes
    I spoke with a tech guy on Monday and I was calm when I was explaining the problems (since screaming and yelling is not going to help - at least not yet) and he said he was surprised by all the problems and would pass everything on to the sales guy. So, I spoke with the sales guy yesterday and told him everything and he said everything was told to the install manager and he is going to call me to set up an
    appointment to inspect the job himself.

As for the contract it said they were going to install a duct system made of metal and or fiberglass with about 8 outlets and the return of course. There is a section of sheetmetal connected to the end of the blower and then ductboard from there. I now don't mind the use of ductboard and the flex if it was installed properly.

Does anyone know why the air handler would be sucking air in on the side? Could it be broke or just installed improperly. Thanks for the idea to ask for a balancing test. Sorry for no pics, I have to get a digital camera.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for your replies.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by nj_ac
    I spoke with a tech guy on Monday and I was calm when I was explaining the problems (since screaming and yelling is not going to help - at least not yet)
    screaming and yelling is never going to help.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    BBB record?

Permit?

Pass inspection?

Pay them yet?

Satisfaction guaranty?

Post Likes
    Spend $50 on a digital camera take some shots and post it ASAP. Then we can tell you what they did wrong.

Post Likes

What's the name of the company

I'm getting quotes to have central a/c put in and I don't want to use them.

Post Likes
    terrible airflow nothing worse then crappy ran flex

Post Likes
    I met with the install manager yesterday and he reviewed the system and said it needs all the corrections that I described earlier. I do have a concern about the fan coil where it is sucking air in where the 2 pieces meet because
    he was saying there might not be to much that he can do besides trying to tighten it up and then taping it. Can this be right? It's a new carrier performance series FV003.

Could the fan coil be broke or defective and should I demand a new one be installed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Let the guy do his punch list ( repairs)and if that does not solve your problems repost with pics. Sealing the coil with duct sealant and lag rag( not tape) should solve that common problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in