Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I recently had a new 2.5 ton carrier central a/c with ductwork installed in early May and I am shocked by the quality of the install. Need help on how to deal with the contractor. I picked a firm in norther nj with a good reputation and they have been in the business as they say
    since 1900.

I went into the attic on Sunday to check out their work and I was shocked. First of all the air handler (where the seams meet)is sucking air in and the sides are not aligned. There is air leaking out of many places where the air handler attaches to the main trunk ( which is duct board - and I'm not happy with that). The rest of the duct work is flexduct, which I don't mind, but it's installed terrible. There are sharp turns everywhere including where it's attached to the vent, a lot of excess line (I thought the flex needs to be cut to an accurate size and stretched
    out without much slack.) The return 14 inch flex duct is attached to the airhandler at a very tight angle ( which I assume isn't correct. The return line is also crushing the flex duct that goes into my bedroom.

The ac does get the temp down to the set temp but most rooms feel hot and seem very stuffy. In the day the system is cycling on and off almost ever 10 mins. I have calls into the installer and am currently waiting for a call back.

I didn't go with the cheapest bid (you get what you pay for)
    and I was expecting a quality install. I would like opinions on how to deal with the installers. I don't trust the entire system. Ideally, I would want the whole install done again. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the return needs a metal ell and the supply boots need to be 45* or have metal ells on them.

All seams/joints need to be sealed with mastic.

Hard to be specific without looking at it but it sounds like it mainly needs sealed with no air leaks.

What bbk said. In addition, I like to see flex duct strapped and stretched to minimize restrictions to airflow.

• Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Pics?

Thanks for the responses. sorry I do not have any pics.
    I'll try.

Thanks for the help

We need pics.

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

I would ask the installing contractor to come and look(owner). Often times the (owner) does not know what his guys are doing and may want to have a look-see! I am sure the install can be neatened up and sealed. Duct board is common.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Who is it?

Can you name the contractor in northern NJ so that I can avoid them?

Test Report + Air Flow Check

Originally posted by bbk
    Sounds like the return needs a metal ell and the supply boots need to be 45* or have metal ells on them.

All seams/joints need to be sealed with mastic.

Hard to be specific without looking at it but it sounds like it mainly needs sealed with no air leaks.
    At-this-point, A/C company owner SHOULD commit to having an independent, certified balancing firm perform his normal testing and provide a report.

However, chances of that may be Slim-to-None.

Ask for Full Start-Up Report performed by the A/C Company and don't pay in full until you 'check Air Flows yourself' if A/C firm owner does not provide an independent Balancer or has one of his own technicians perform Full Testing.

Leaks are an OBVIOUS "DEATH of Sorts" to Performance.

If not Satisfied, talk to your lawyer friend.

[Edited by dan sw fl on 06-15-2005 at 07:14 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

That may be true Dan,however we dont know what was spell out in the contract as to what was being done for the money.

Can we see the contract? It should be stated as to what was
    going to be done and how.

Post pics & let the owner know you are here and are about to publish a sample of his work...

Hopefully, you can get the boss out there to look at the job and correct the problems with it.
    Good luck.

I spoke with a tech guy on Monday and I was calm when I was explaining the problems (since screaming and yelling is not going to help - at least not yet) and he said he was surprised by all the problems and would pass everything on to the sales guy. So, I spoke with the sales guy yesterday and told him everything and he said everything was told to the install manager and he is going to call me to set up an
    appointment to inspect the job himself.

As for the contract it said they were going to install a duct system made of metal and or fiberglass with about 8 outlets and the return of course. There is a section of sheetmetal connected to the end of the blower and then ductboard from there. I now don't mind the use of ductboard and the flex if it was installed properly.

Does anyone know why the air handler would be sucking air in on the side? Could it be broke or just installed improperly. Thanks for the idea to ask for a balancing test. Sorry for no pics, I have to get a digital camera.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for your replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast