a/c cycle times - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a/c cycle times

5 ton for 2400

If you are using a 5 ton unit for 2400. there is nothing you can do but change the piston in the a coil to 3 1/2 ton and go purchase a 3.5 condenser.

regards,
    Kelvin

I live in South Texas where it is already in the low 90's with 70-80% humidity and will only get hotter from here. Anyone know about this "sweating compressor" stuff? I thought that was normal on a humid day. I have never had 50% RH since I bought the home new 2 years ago (Always 60-65% regardless of temp setting). Unit has been serviced twice this year and tech says everything to spec. Short cycles will not allow dehumidification. If I'm going to fry the compressor on "medium" blower speed then I'll have to live with the humidity and figure something else out.

My Carrier furnace and air handler are a single unit. The cooling coil is a separate unit and different sized coils can be attached to the furnace unit. There are separate pin settings for heating and cooling. If you adjust the blower speed for the furnace it will not affect the AC and vice versa. For AC, one wire is to match the tonnage of the outside condenser, in half ton increments, and a second wire gives three settings--315, 350, and 400--cfm per ton once you set the correct tonnage. It's almost impossible to figure out without studying the manual for your furnace or prior training.

My Carrier is the same way (furnace with attached a/c on top)..On my circuit board there are three color coded wires (black-high, blue-med, red-low) and three corresponding pins that say "cool", "heat" and "spare". Right now the black wire is hooked up to the "cool" pin and the red wire is hooked up to the "heat" pin, with the blue wire hooked up to the "spare". So you are saying that changing the wires around on those pins will not affect airflow to the coil?

Thanks!

Originally posted by mrb8828
    My Carrier is the same way (furnace with attached a/c on top)..On my circuit board there are three color coded wires (black-high, blue-med, red-low) and three corresponding pins that say "cool", "heat" and "spare".
    Those pins are the output terminals to the fan. The board runs the "heat" pin in the winter for heating and the "cool" pin in the summer for A/C. What you hook to those pins is up to you (fan speed-wise). If you hook the blue wire to the cool pin it will run the fan on medium speed for cooling and whatever color is on the heat pin will run that speed. Almost universally, red is low, blue is medium, and black is high speed.

I really don't know. I just know on mine, the yellow wire, for example, will adjust the blower to match to condenser tonnage. There are also green, purple, blue, and maybe a red one that all affect the blower. For some you have to power down and others you don't. It is really not intuitive unless you're a mechanical genius or you have a manual or prior training.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12