Thread: In floor heat. Finishing the basement. Fridge guy looking for advice

Post Likes

Question

Well Im a market guy that has never done in floor heating. I have seen some systems but never installed one. First question I have is if there is some threads I could find that you guys know of that I can read up on.

Next is the question of the best floor to build.
    Wood subfloor? Concrete skim coat? I am planing on carpeting the basement as well.

Is there any rules of thumb for typical zone sizing? such as how long of a loop is recomended (length of pipe for the size). Best pipe to use? what info do I need to collect in order to size my pumps and boiler?

thanks for the info you guys can pass along. Just starting to look into this all and I got nothing but time, wont be finishing the basement for most likely a year.
    "I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way."

"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    hope this link works. http://www.heatinghelp.com/library.cfm#IPEX
    It's a good start on infloor.
    tekmarcontrols.com has some good stuff too.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Post Likes
    Roth makes panals that you can glue down and the the tube snaps in.I dont know how big of area you are talking about, but as far as loop size goes have the person you buy the tube from design the loops. Chances are they have the sotware to do this, I'd hope anyway . Are you planning on using a boiler, Or something like a comby core water heater?I have installed many different types of infloor systems, and this seemed to work well A little pricey if I remember right, but all infloor radiant systems are.

Post Likes
    Since you're working with an exsisting slab that cannot be insulated, I would go with warmboard. Foil face foam insulation over the slab and then the warmboard or similar product over that. Lay tubing in tracks.

Post Likes
    go to a plumbing supply store give them all the specs.. Wirsbro offers a load calc & prices out the job with all the material needed.. Great program to get your hands on for radiant heat

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in