Thread: breaker trip

Post Likes
    Ok this is my first install. Trane condenser 2.5 ton,18TD
    10SH carrir chart said 8SH (85OSA/62WB)Gages read 215H/78L
    Liquid line near evap coil very warm 60SA/78RA. Brand new 30 amp breaker. Compressor 13.6amps (label reads 13.2 FLA) check capacitor and meg ohm compressor both show no weakness. Breaker trips once a week.

My quetions is would the wrong piston size in the metering devise cause to much restriction, cause high amps, and the liquid line being very warm at evap.

When I installed the system i used the orfice that came with the coil NO.67, instead of the the orfice that came with the condensor NO.65.

Other than that i have no idea what could be the problem.
    Any feed back would be great.

[Edited by kctech on 06-13-2005 at 08:13 AM]

Post Likes
    I dought it very much. did you check all your electrical connections to see if there all tight ?

Post Likes
    noo way it would cause a 2 1/2 ton unit to trip a 60 amp breaker. something very bad happening there.

Post Likes
    Could be a defective breaker if all the electrical connections are tight. If you have an infrared thermometer, check the temperature of the breaker and lugs after the system has been running for a while. BUT, only do this if you are a technician. If a homeowner disregard what I said. Couldn't tell by your profile.

[Edited by HVAC Pro on 06-12-2005 at 09:03 PM]
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes

Talking

Originally posted by hvacguy1075
    I dought it very much. did you check all your electrical connections to see if there all tight ?
    Tightly connected to ground maybe. LOL

Sorry, cheep shot.

Post Likes
    What kind of tstat on the unit? If it is a manual tstat and someone turns it off and then back on without waiting for the pressure to equalize in the system there is a good chance the breaker could trip. I would think with a 60 amp breaker it might not trip, seems awful big breaker for 2.5 tons, would think that a 30 amp would be the better choice. Would have to check on the unit specs and see breaker size. If it is an electronic thermostat make sure it has a 5 minute delay on it. This will avoid a situation like nuisance breaker tripping. My wife used to play with the tstat like that, I would come home from work and the house would be hot, she would say "but the unit has been running all day" Furnace fan running but breaker to A/C tripped. I put in a delay relay and problem solved.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes

Over charged.

Pump it down, put the right piston in, and adjust charge.

Also check the max amp circuit rating, 60 amp for 2.5 ton, just doesn't sound right.

Post Likes
    Gages read 215H/78L from the that reading. It has to be electrical problem..

How can you know the unit is over charged when you dont know what the outside and inside temp is.. Temp and preasure directly relate..

You have a hot wire touching some where it may be pinched from the nail staples.

Impossible for a 2.5 unit to knock out a 60amp breaker.

Try running new wire... You are not over charged, and just because the liquid line is warm to touch. Thats the way it should be when it hot outside..

regards,
    Kelvin

Post Likes
    Your right, the hot wire touching some where could be causing the compressor to draw more then RLA.

Slightly oversized piston will keep the head pressure down, even when over charged.

To get the superheat he had to add more gas with that piston.

Post Likes
    I have never seen a 2.5 ton on anything more then a 30 amp, 10 gage wire, A 60 amp would require 6 gage wire. Is there 6 gage wire running to the unit.I have installed time delays on units before to allow the compressor to equalize before comming back on,but I really find it hard to beleive anything but a short to ground or a bad breaker is the cause. What does the name plate say the rated amps are?

Post Likes

time delay fuses

kctech

Check the max rating for unit and put a breaker in line for that rating. It should be around 25 amp. To have 60amp in line will let you unit burn up in case of a fault. You might have a 60 amp disconect but put 25 amp fuses in.. time delay of couse

regards,
    kevin

Post Likes
    Brand new 30 amp breaker

am I not seeing something here? where has everyone come up with a 60 amp breaker

Post Likes
    CT2 original post was edited used to say 60 amp breaker, now that it says 30 amp makes a lot more sense. I still say make sure the unit is not being turned off and then on right away. Put some kind of delay in there and see if the nuisance tripping stops. Used to see it all the time when we were using manual tstats instead of electronic.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    install hard start kit - after checking wire connections/wire size

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in