I'm looking at a Carrier split system servicing the upstairs of a 3 story house - cooling coil and furnace are in attic about 22' above OD unit. The low pressure line is wet all the way to the coil in the attic and there is a large block of ice on the OD low pressure service valve. The system is about 3 years old and had been running fine until homeowner noticed that it wouldn't cool today (OD air temp about 95).

At the coil, both high and low pressure lines are wet and not cold. Any ideas on where to look for trouble?
    Scott

call for service

No way, I built and installed the system (and had it inspected by professionals who stated flatly that their companies would not have done as a good a job)...I'll tear it apart and check everything if I have to but I was hoping that someone here would point me in a more focused direction first...

Leak?

when u installed a system did u open a service valve all the way?

I'm thinking that it's a leak also but it ran perfectly for 3 years. I did find the liquid line to the OD unit was bent over (in spite of the measure I took to protect the lines) and a leak could have occured. However, there is no sign of leakage anywhere near the liquid line.

Reading other threads here I'm seeing that icing is not all that rare (apparently) and the cause is also not always the same apparently.

For now I turned-off the system and haven't yet checked the filter or ducts so I will do that tonight. I know that the filter (electrostatic type) is cleaned monthly but there is a large room remodel happening in the house and a lot of dust may have been put into the system over the last 30-45 days.

One thing that's always botered me is the height above the OD unit of the coil (24' rise condenser to coil). I originally consulted with a couple pros about this and we decided ultimately that a valve was not necessary. However, every time the OD kicks-on it sounds like a hammer and I've suspected that it may be flooding. Fortunately I have two identical units - both done at the same time - with the second unit having only a 6' rise from condenser to coil.

I guess I'll have to re-think the valve on the coil in the attic...(?)...