I am an HVAC service tech with a little install experience. I recently installed a system in my own home. My question concerns airflow. I would prefer to use a pleated filter, but when I do, I get .5 ESP on high speed blower. According to the blower performance chart, that will deliver 725 cfm. It's a two ton system, so that will not give me the ideal 400 cfm per ton. If I use a fiberglass filter, the ESP drops to .3. This will allow me to run the blower on medium speed and will deliver 800 cfm. However, I think the pleated filter is much more effective and would rather use it. Will the marginal airflow delivered by using the pleated filter cause me any problems? I'm weighing the cleanliness of the pleated against the efficiency of the fiberglass. What do you think?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Humid climate 725 cfms is fine.

If not ,why not modify the duct and get a larger pleated filter,to lower the static?

Thanks, dash! I had considered the options you suggested, but I installed a 14x 25 filter grill which limits my filter size. Also, I used 16 inch flex duct for the return and did not want to replace it.

Thanks, again!

So put in a second 14x25 grill and split the return in two. Or just live with the cheap filter. Either way the equipment will be fine.

This is a big problem with homes being built. Not enough return air as it is and when you put a pleated filter on it gets a lot worse. I see it all the time. You can't have too much return air in my book.