Thread: Kenmore Condenser Replacement

Post Likes

Question

Hi There
    I am working on a job that requires replacement of Kenmore condenser mod# CA9660VKA1(5 ton unit) due to burned compressor. Unit is about 12 years old. Air handler asociated with this unit is also kenmore NACA002MB04. I would like to find a little more info about these units. I think that the air handler is a fixed oriffice. My question is if I would want to replace the condenser only how am I gona match them up if I use different brand. Also my heat load calculation calls for a 4 ton unit. The ductwork in the house, especialy return is good for 4 ton. There was not enough air flow across the evaporator for 5 ton. I know that my best option is to replace air handler and condenser together. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Post Likes
    Why would you only replace the condenser if the compressor is bad?

Post Likes
    no such animal as a kenmore only name. that is a tempstar unit with kenmore tag.

Post Likes
    Actually it's an ICP unit with a Kenmore tag.

Most of the new 4-ton ICP condensers can be used with the larger 5-ton evaps... But, I would recommend a full replacement!

BTW, the matching coil on the HAC 'scroll' units will then have a 10 year compressor warranty!

Post Likes
    i think tempstar and icp are one in the same

Post Likes
    Hi troyorr
    The reason I want to replace the condenser is because it is 12 years old, fan motor is rusted. contactor is not a greatest shape either and the coil fins are fairly cloged.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvacguy1075
    i think tempstar and icp are one in the same
    Yes, ICP is the mother company of Tempstar...

But saying ICP is the correct thing to say... not Tempstar!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Chemgard
    Hi troyorr
    The reason I want to replace the condenser is because it is 12 years old, fan motor is rusted. contactor is not a greatest shape either and the coil fins are fairly cloged.
    Change out the contactor, clean the coil and forget about the fan motor, till it quits!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya
    Originally posted by Chemgard
    Hi troyorr
    Change out the contactor, clean the coil and forget about the fan motor, till it quits!
    don't forget it also has a bad compressor.

change the system out, including the line set
    i wanted to put a picture here

Post Likes
    If you are going to change the condenser out no dought it is going to be i higher seer rating so you might as well change out the evaperator and line set also, in changing out the evaperator it will give you higher efficiency than the old evaporator, get one with a txv.and if the condensate pan on the old evaperator is metal it is probably about rusted out at 12 years old.

Post Likes
    Thanks to all of you
    If I am understanding correctly then most of you are sugesting change the condenser and evaporator. This means that I would keep the old air handler. So I would have to adapt the new evaporator to the old handler, blower has 3 speeds so that could be allright. I will do some calcs and figure if replacing the old air handler with completely new unit may be a better solution. So if I summarize all this then I have two options that would give me a good result
    -change the compressor only
    or change the whole system.
    Am I correct please?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tlcartman
    don't forget it also has a bad compressor.
    Ooops, was going off of his last post!

Post Likes
    Trying to get you to see what I was implying. You aren't changing the condenser, you are changing the CONDENSING UNIT.

Post Likes
    Yep it was a condensing unit, I am sorry if I confuse the matter by saying condenser

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in