help with AC frezing up
    I have replaced 2 37 year old HVAC units with one Trane with zone dampers. I have 1700 up and another 1700 down on each zone. The upper zone runs the most. When the upper zone runs for most of the day, the exchanger starts to squeal. I can feel the air rushing out the leaks in the ductwork before the exchanger and nothing is making to the vents. I shut off the zone but let the fan run constantly, when I hear the dripping slow I restart the cooling and by then it is cooling off outside. I have been replacing the 4" filter every month and the vents are open. What else is going wrong that is causing the freezing up?
    I am not a pro just a home owner trying not to get taken for a ride.

Thanks,

Could be a lot of things. Need to have someone come out and check the AC unit. If it is zoned make sure it has a leaving air temp sensor and a bypass damper. If the sensor is not shutting down the AC when it gets too cold then for sure your system will freeze up. Bottom line is it could be any one of a number of things and you really need someone knowledgeable to check it out. What brand of Zoning are you using? Have the installer come and test the setup of the zoning.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Get your installing contractor on the phone and have them come out and fix it. If its a new system, you should have a parts, labor, and performance warranty on it still.

Thanks for the reply. The system is about 2 years old Trane XV90 with an XL13i. The zoning is a Honeywell minizone (squeals when the damper close).
    I kind of thought it would be to broad of a question after reading some of the other posts.
    I am just confused about what is the responsibility of the manufacture (Trane warranty) or the installer. How do I know if an install is done improperly? Where is the line in the HVAC business between, manufacture or install venders responsibility? On 1 of the post you mentioned performance being under warranty? Is that an installer issue?
    If it wasn't for the freezing up issues we would be 98% satisfied with our new system. When both zones call for heat in winter it does get a little noisy but it feels so good.
    Thanks again and you have a great site for information and help.

Where is the noise coming from, I have done plenty of zoning systems and have yet to run accross a system that is noisy. I did a system in a hotel with a 10 ton rooftop and 32 zone dampers and it has worked flawlessly for the past 6 years. I don't see why a zoning system would be any noisier than a standard system if installed correctly. If the noise is coming from the zone dampers I would say you have a bad damper. Is the damper scraping against the sheetmetal? Or is the noise because of the amount of air coming through the zone. If that is the case then the bypass damper needs adjustment.
    "Go big or Go Home"