Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reading your guages

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mdman
    Originally posted by hvac r us 2
    I worked for the same dealer for 15 years before I became a tech rep; him and I are very close.

He always had a sign on his door that read

RULE #1 THE BOSS IS ALWAYS RIGHT.
    RULE #2 IF THE BOSS IS WRONG REFER TO RULE NUMBER 1.

Seriously though, it is sort of funny. If the suction gauge temperature represented the temperature of refrigerant in the suction line you would always have zero superheat! lol

I would not have worked there 15 min after reading such a pig eyed statement.

Hope your working in less of a communists state these days.
    I would agree, but it was very light hearted!

It was nothing to poke fun at the boss to his face, he is a good guy.

It was all in fun, same as I had a coffee mug while I worked there that read "piss me off and pay the consequences"

Made for a great work envirement.

I am just starting to come back around here (H-Talk) and am a little confused. Are we not supposed to change topic within a thread?

Guess I never realized that was against the house rules?

Guess I should read the rules. lol
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Post Likes

Talking soap box

<snip>
    Are we not supposed to change topic within a thread?
    Guess I never realized that was against the house rules?
    Guess I should read the rules. lol
    </snip>

Glad to see your worried about the important stuff.

My concern is that this board is becoming too PC and regulated, so I guess it reflects our industry and national problems as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a nice guy. I just enjoy a spirited argument w/o sensitivity usually in pursuit of technical truth. Politics and opinion fights are usually a waste of time, but it is Saturday. LOL

I'm off the soap box.

Post Likes
    hvac r us 2

You are off topic again! ! ! !

No, arguments are... and since I know you work out every minute of the day and are so much darn bigger than most of us here, I was saving you a trip to the computer store to purchase another keyboard .......

Ya know I am just kidding. I use that to break up a what ever before a what ever can develop.

You got to admit, my cute little sign got your attention.

Post Likes

My concern is that this board is becoming too PC and regulated, so I guess it reflects our industry and national problems as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a nice guy. I just enjoy a spirited argument w/o sensitivity usually in pursuit of technical truth. Politics and opinion fights are usually a waste of time, but it is Saturday. LOL

Actually... One of the reasons for their being Associates is so there be less disorder and more flow. Asking the new people to follow guidelines and getting the older members to help us out is not so easy while trying to read 1500 or more posts a day. Remember, I am a professional working member too.

I think that everyone here should be an Associate for a week and seriously do the job for a week. Most will change their attitudes about this site and how it is run to a more positive. They will want it run so everyone will have fun and have it be helpful at the same time.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by lusker
    hvac r us 2

You got to admit, my cute little sign got your attention.

I like the little pop up signs, never had one addressed to me before! LOL

Probably a good thing to keep threads on topic, I have seen more than one thread create a life of it's own!

Come to think of it, I have been involved in several of those threads....I actually became dumber after reading page after page......

Post Likes

No... not 9mm ?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by lusker

No... not 9mm ?
    LMAO! Yeah, like that! lol

Post Likes

Talking little dudes

LOL

Where do you guys get these little dudes?

Post Likes

Re: little dudes

LOL

Where do you guys get these little dudes?

http://www.my-smileys.de

Post Likes

Re: it's not pressure, it's sat temp !!

Unless you are deriving compression ratio or setting pressure controls accurately then the only useful information on the gauge is the sat temp (even more true when you work with several refrigerants).
    ...I do get pissed every time someone makes reference to head or suction pressure because they are missing this major point. The top techs out there will not flame this thread and they are all nodding right now.
    Actually there is more to the pressures than just that. Looking at the suction pressure gives a quick 'heads-up' on if the coil may be icing up or already iced up. Poor airflow also results in lower pressure so it helps in diagnosing if there is restricted airflow. Looking at the liquid pressure gives a 'heads up' on the condenser performance. The pressures are needed if the tech is going to plot out the PE diagram so that the whole performance of the system can be viewed at one time. Don't underestimate the value of what the pressures will tell.

Post Likes

Cool

Everything you've mentioned is a "head-up" on refrigerant heat exchange. If the evaporator coil has reduced airflow the EST (you say suction pressure) will follow down, the amount depending on metering type. If you've already thinking in terms of EST then your one suction line temperature from determining SH. Then knowing what kind of metering control you have will take you straight to the problem or prompt the next logical question.

We are both referring to the same measurements here, but the terms that foster better understanding here are saturation temperature and not pressure.

How many different nominal pressure ranges do you have to keep in your head when you go from R22 high temp, to 410A, to a 502 box?

Also, many P-E charts are scaled in psia so your going have to add 15 anyway. I have one that I scaled in degrees F because I also think in the Queen's English. LOL

Post Likes
    Perhaps it depends on which way a person best comprehends the AC system. Saturation temperatures instead of pressure may work for you but not for me. The temperatures must be estimated on the gauge at my altitude, thus it is more accurate to just go with the pressure and keep a PT chart that is altitude adjusted handy for when the charge is in the ball park. When I drop 3,000' I still use the same method to get the same results. Then when I do an R-134a system I use the same method. When using R-410a the same method still works. When I come across R-502 I am still good to go without trying to mull over temperature conversions. It is a method that covers all refrigerants rather than just one or two and works better for me at these high altitudes. I can see where you are coming from with your method and see how it can serve you best. Whereas others may do it differently than you does not mean that they are ignorant or any less of a technician - it just means the perspective is at a different angle.

Personally I prefer the Sporlan PT chart. The pressures are PSIG and the charts come adjusted for different elevations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in