geothermal

Thread: geothermal

Hi...can anyone tell me what the initial installation cost of a geothermal system would be vs. traditional forced air furnace and air conditioning...in general is it 2 times the cost or 3 times? thanks...Jason

There are a lot af variables to take into account,including but not limited to: required size of the units (tons); type of geo system - closed loop horizontal, closed loop vertical, open loop well, open loop pond; loop fluid (may be defined by local code); your location; number of zones; etc

I woud say as a range that a geo system would run 2 to 4 times a furnace and A/C system

paul

2 do it

to do it from A to Z; from the womb to the tomb, easy 3-4 times more. depending on your set-up(constant water supply) & zoning/code -- save a bunch of money by doing the piping yourself. geothermal systems are very reliable and durable if properly installed from the 'git go! need REGULARLY SCHEDULED MAINTANCE! when you deal with water, things can geta little corroded and cause problems. CRITICAL to supply good ground source water. very quite as no fans are needed. takes up a minimal amount of space compared to a traditional system. geothermal systems are a nice thing, but from a service man's point of view, i would rather take the conventional system. i can get 3 of the conventional systems as compared to 1 geothermal system. key to a geothermal is MAINTANCE, MAINTANCE & good installation.

I agree with badbillr with one clairification: most maintainance headaches are related to open loop systems that use an external water source. In these systems the quality and cleaniness of the water can create severe and/or continuing headaches. With closed loop systems, if the loop piping is leak free, containing the correct amount of antifreeze and pressurized to recommended pressures, there is little to no maintainance required other than checking the loop flow and pressure annually.

Open loop systems have frequent issues with dirt, scale, acicity, corrosion, pump life and sometimes available water supply. These require much more maintainance to keep them running and up to expected levels of performance.

Other geo advantages include fewer parts, no defrost requirements, much longer life since all of the major components are indoors and therefore do not rust/corrode/get dirty, lower stress on components since the operating parameters have a very small range of values (optimize design for known narrow range of temperatures at the condenser, and very low noise.

paul