Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NO HEAT NO COOL-HELP!

Hi guys, hopefully you can help me out. I have a 15 year old Water Furnace unit, Model ATV034A11OCRT and closed loop system.Methanol. I also added about 2 years ago a QT Flow Center.(i think) Its been good over the years and I have only replace a few parts here and there in that time. Just recently it quit making heat and in the heat mode will not warm up the house. The outside temps have warmed up some and now it will not cool either. It just runs and runs with no effect on the house temp. I had a Tech come out and check things out and he says he doesn't know what to do other than replace the entire unti with new. I can't believe that some components can't be replaced to get it up and running correctly again. The Tech checked everything he knew to check. Pumps are all running, compressor pressure seems okay. Loop temp in was 37 degree's F out was 33 deree's F. What are your suggestions??? Oh, and there are NO faults showing.

Thanks,
    Tina

get a new tech to come look at it cause if everything is running and not heating or cooling there is definitly a problem. did he say that the compressor was running? if the compressor is running, it could be a few things but possibly a reversing valve or a compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by rcameron View Post
    get a new tech to come look at it cause if everything is running and not heating or cooling there is definitly a problem. did he say that the compressor was running? if the compressor is running, it could be a few things but possibly a reversing valve or a compressor.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes the compressor runs okay. It will cycle on as it should. It just has no affect on either cooling or heating the house. I thought that even without the compressor running it would still cool seeing how the ground loop temp was around 37 degree's F. Guess not. What's the best way to check if the compressor is working properly? Is there any way to check the reversing valve for proper function.

Thanks a ton,
    Tina

unless you have experience in air conditioning and refrigeration there isnt much you are gonna beable to do without the proper tools and know how. find a good technician to come look at it. the ground loop temperature will not cool the house no matter how cold it is, the sole purpose of the ground loop is to add heat to the refrigerant or take heat out of it. i would say your reversing valve in stuck in mid position if the compressor runs but doesn't heat or cool, it also could be out of gas but then the heat pump should have a low pressure control. again this isn't for the home owner to try to repair,call someone who knows something.

Did he do a gpm flow rate test and all that other necessary stuff? Shouldn't be putting on gauges untill absolutley necessary. Maybe flush the lines or check methanol mixture. Seem definitley fixable, unless it is the compressor!

shoulldn't be putting on gauges until absolutly necessary. i know you can tell alot about how a system feels with you hands but without putting a set of gauges on, you don't know ****, especially in this case. everything is fixable just have to get the right tech

shoulldn't be putting on gauges until absolutly necessary. i know you can tell alot about how a system feels with you hands but without putting a set of gauges on, you don't know ****, especially in this case. everything is fixable just have to get the right tech
    Depending on if its a split geo either way, no guages on a geo untill you check the gpm and td. That will tell you most of everything on a geo or if you have to check the charge. Performing those test, you'll know alot!

Quote Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
    Hi guys, hopefully you can help me out. I have a 15 year old Water Furnace unit, Model ATV034A11OCRT and closed loop system.Methanol. I also added about 2 years ago a QT Flow Center.(i think) Its been good over the years and I have only replace a few parts here and there in that time. Just recently it quit making heat and in the heat mode will not warm up the house. The outside temps have warmed up some and now it will not cool either. It just runs and runs with no effect on the house temp. I had a Tech come out and check things out and he says he doesn't know what to do other than replace the entire unti with new. I can't believe that some components can't be replaced to get it up and running correctly again. The Tech checked everything he knew to check. Pumps are all running, compressor pressure seems okay. Loop temp in was 37 degree's F out was 33 deree's F. What are your suggestions??? Oh, and there are NO faults showing.

Thanks,
    Tina
    whoever looked it obviously isn't that thorough if his solution is to replace the unit. if you have a problem with your loop it will be shown in the system, low suction pressure in heating or high head pressure in cooling.

whoever looked it obviously isn't that thorough if his solution is to replace the unit. if you have a problem with your loop it will be shown in the system, low suction pressure in heating or high head pressure in cooling.
    This particular tech has always done my service calls and has always done a good job a diagnosing a problem. He did check the compressor for pressure and all seemed okay. As far as I know he didn't mention the possiblility of the reversing valve being stuck. He also checked to make sure all the flow pumps were running,which they were. He did not check to see what they were flowing in gpm though. I have over the last few years added four or five gallons of water to the QT flow center. I'll have someone check the specific gravity of the loop fluid.

How can you tell if the reversing valve is not working?

Thanks for your replies,
    Tina

there is something wrong with you unit and seeing how i am not there to look at it, its gonna be tough for me to fix it. you said you loop had only a four degree difference, most heat pumps have a 6-8 degree difference across the loop, so this tells me your heat pump is not operating at peak performance. if you have no cooling or heating, then the answer isnt replacing the unit. if he checked the pressure of the heat pump, he would have beable to tell if it was running properly. i am just guessing at the reversing valve, no heat and no cool and the compressor is running. if there isnt any faults in the system, then you have no pressure control opens, so there must there must be refrigerant in the system so thats why i suspect the reversing valve. but i would check the pressure of the ground loop, the delta t across the loop, the suction pressure, discharge pressure,and superheat. after checking all of these things he should beable to come up with what the problem is. or at least come up with something other than replace the unit, well if he cant find a problem, why would you replace the unit

Thanks for the info. I'll try and get another tech to look at it and run some more test and hopefully determine exactly whats going on. Really appreciate your time in trying to help out.

Tina

make sure you post what is wrong i am really kinda curious myself to know

make sure you post what is wrong i am really kinda curious myself to know
    Not sure how fast it will happen,but I will post as soon as it gets fixed. Appreciate the help. Atleast I have enough info now to ask more questions. Thanks again for your time.

Tina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast