Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17

Thread: mod con boilers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    60

    mod con boilers

    i am losing confidence.I put in alot of high eff. mod con boilers .I had a close friend ask me what boiler he should put in.My response was to pick one i just keep seeing expensive repairs and service calls and not so easy maintnence any body that actually services the equipment having the same problems

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    37
    The majority of my calls are from improper installation and improper application. Hardly anyone cleans the burner, and never do the installers make the homeowners aware of proper maintenance. beyond that I have seen some unusual boards & blowers going.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by ALASKAPF185 View Post
    The majority of my calls are from improper installation and improper application. Hardly anyone cleans the burner, and never do the installers make the homeowners aware of proper maintenance. beyond that I have seen some unusual boards & blowers going.
    This is absolutely correct. Poor installation and lack of maintenance equals many, many poor results. The new furnace/boiler technology(s) require rigid adherence to manufacturer's instructions, exactly like your vehicle maintenance. Deviating from the manufacturer's instructions/service requirements will guarantee certain early disaster, likely at the most inopportune times (like when it's freezing cold and service people are hardly available).

    Just my own personal opinion based on hard experience...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,130
    A properly sized and installed mod con boiler will save a lot more money than the annual maintenance will cost.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    60
    yes i have seen some very exspensive boards ,gas valves and blowers fail.the problem of boilers that were installed incorectly will always exist.I am very concerned about the quality of the products there have recently been some major revisions in control logic. example house calls for 200,000btus install a 210,000 btu boiler.heat exchanger fails rep says boiler is to big because i have a 2 zones out of the 8 that have 30,000 btu conected loads boiler turns down 5 to one so it will short cycle bur out fans gas valves and boards.the new revised controlers that will help with this problem.by the way they can not adapt to the old boilers.there flaw my problem

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Gold Coast of Connecticut
    Posts
    4,587
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsman View Post
    yes i have seen some very exspensive boards ,gas valves and blowers fail.the problem of boilers that were installed incorectly will always exist.I am very concerned about the quality of the products there have recently been some major revisions in control logic. example house calls for 200,000btus install a 210,000 btu boiler.heat exchanger fails rep says boiler is to big because i have a 2 zones out of the 8 that have 30,000 btu conected loads boiler turns down 5 to one so it will short cycle bur out fans gas valves and boards.the new revised controlers that will help with this problem.by the way they can not adapt to the old boilers.there flaw my problem

    8000 sf home or what?

    I have rarly had a home need much more than 100K
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,125
    5:1 turn down on a 210,000 BTU boiler, would put it at 42,000 BTUs at min. more then acceptable for a 30,000 BTU zone.

    In a case where 1 or 2 smaller zones are too small. Slaving the smaller zones together, or to a similar use zone helps.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,130
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    5:1 turn down on a 210,000 BTU boiler, would put it at 42,000 BTUs at min. more then acceptable for a 30,000 BTU zone.

    In a case where 1 or 2 smaller zones are too small. Slaving the smaller zones together, or to a similar use zone helps.
    Or simply replace your hydraulic separator with a buffer tank to add some mass for when one minizone calls. If that zone is way smaller than the lowest firing rate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    60
    the factory rep shocked me i thought the same thing 40,000 would be just fine he wanted to limit btu by caping combustion fan speed with lab top software i would not let him because the boiler btus matched the house loads.He took off system sensor to help rapid heat rise and admitted this was a problem and assured me the new control logic would help this problem.almost all these boilers have the same logic.I AM A LITTLE ANOYED TO SAY THE LEAST THAT THIS NEW LOGIC WILL NOT WORK ON THIS 2 YEAR OLD BOILER.HE WANTED TO CAP THE OUTPUT AT 175,000 HE SPENT ALOT OF TIME ON THE PHONE WITH ENGINEERS

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,837
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsman View Post
    the factory rep shocked me i thought the same thing 40,000 would be just fine he wanted to limit btu by caping combustion fan speed with lab top software i would not let him because the boiler btus matched the house loads.He took off system sensor to help rapid heat rise and admitted this was a problem and assured me the new control logic would help this problem.almost all these boilers have the same logic.I AM A LITTLE ANOYED TO SAY THE LEAST THAT THIS NEW LOGIC WILL NOT WORK ON THIS 2 YEAR OLD BOILER.HE WANTED TO CAP THE OUTPUT AT 175,000 HE SPENT ALOT OF TIME ON THE PHONE WITH ENGINEERS

    This discussion really belongs on the pro side. bfsman, you should apply for pro status so you can join us over there.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

    If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    60
    NOT ENOUGH CREDENTIALS TO BE A PRO

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,837
    Well then, keep postin'. You'll get there. I know you've got the credentials. Just not the posts. Take tomorrow off and put up some more posts. Then apply for pro status.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

    If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    37
    The last one I seen was a 1 yr old 6000' ranch not including the basement. Only a 50K wall mounted munchkin, 9000' of radiant (including the garage) and a 120 gallon Superstore. Hmmm plugged condensate caused all kinds of burner issues. It was one of those cheap white rubber traps (factory supplied), KUSTOM connected to a 3/8 drain line. I guess the hole in the concrete outside and in didn't alarm homeowner enuff. No co test was done when set up, well over 400ppm on high fire. Rep did come out he was good, and he made a "certain" change and said he'd turn it into a 140 because the comb chambers were the same for the 50-80-140.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event