Confused

Lennox heat pump / condensor 4-5 years old. Condensor fan runs for 10 minutes and shuts down, and compressor continues to run until overpressure cutoff shuts system down. The cooling fan motor was really hot at shut down so I changed the fan motor. With the new fan motor installed, the fan still shut down after 10 minutes. OK, Maybe its the capacitor? I ordered a new one from an Internet parts store, but could not get part numbers off the old one! The new one which cost $158.00 ( a 3 pole type) doesn't even start the fan. I have no part numbers to help order a new one. Before I go through any further research to find the correct capacitor, Am I even on the right track to repairing my unit? Does this sound like a capacitor problem?

Before we go any futher, let's analyze the situation.

You purchase a motor on the internet for let's say $350.00 since the capacitor is costing you $158.00 that would probably be a good guess. No?

Had you called a qualified contractor out to begin with, cost probably would have been $55 - $80 for a service call + possibly only a bad dual capacitor. Capacitor=(I'll take a stab at it) $100.00 = LESS than $200.00 for a working A/C.

This analogy may or may not have been your situation but what people don't understand is that they don't really save any money by trying to repair it themselves.

You may also have been faced with no air for a couple of days due to scheduling but still a hotel room would probably not equal what was spent in your/situation or my/analogy.

At this point in regard to your current problem I would advise that you call a service company. They probably won't charge you $158.00 for a capacitor.

[Edited by bb on 06-10-2005 at 09:50 PM]

yes, I did call a service tech. He was not able to duplicate the problem and he charge me $65 to tell me the system did not have a problom. ( the fan never stopped for him) We just noticed that the air was not cooling the house and no one, not even the service tech noticed what was really happening. N O W, If I can ask the question again, CAN A CAPICITOR be Intermittant? The fan will restart as soon as I Cylce the 240V.

There is no way we can help you with your problem. You don't even know if you have the right motor and capacitor. Call a service company before you spend more than a new A/C would have cost.

sounds like for $158 they must of sold you the flux capacitor instead of the dual capacitor. doubt either one would be causing the problem.

Originally posted by latta2
    OK, Maybe its the capacitor? I ordered a new one from an Internet parts store, but could not get part numbers off the old one! The new one which cost $158.00 ( a 3 pole type) doesn't even start the fan.
    Can I have the web site for those parts that's a steal on that capicator. I always knew I was on the wrong side of this trade.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Originally posted by latta2
    yes, I did call a service tech. He was not able to duplicate the problem and he charge me $65 to tell me the system did not have a problom. ( the fan never stopped for him) We just noticed that the air was not cooling the house and no one, not even the service tech noticed what was really happening. N O W, If I can ask the question again, CAN A CAPICITOR be Intermittant? The fan will restart as soon as I Cylce the 240V.
    In that case I would call that contractor back. If I run a call and it has a related problem to the first complaint I will not charge another service call, only straight labor.

When it fails again leave it as it is and call them out. They will have a better understanding of the problem as it happens.

Or either the tech doesn't know how to check capacitors.

Capacitors are not intermittant. They work, they're weak or they're bad.

In your situation of not knowing the proper requirements for the unit, getting somewhere there that does know will be your best option. IMO

OH MY GOD. What a true waste of money. Is there only one service tech in your town? How much money will you spend before you quit guessing? I mean, I understand your plight but talk about a stab in the dark. It's time to call in reinforcements..

[Edited by HVAC Pro on 06-10-2005 at 11:24 PM]
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

wow i am in the wrong end of this trade. i am starting an internet store.
    could have replaced the motor and cap for less then that
    but what ever
    chances are the cap is not the problem. the first motor probably was bad and the motor you got was probaly the wrong one. most of lenox condensor fan motors are a certain rpm and even though the hp may be the same if the rpm is not the motor will over heat and shut down
    call the company back out and have it fixed properly

well I had an Old General Electric unit doing the same thing, even though it was in cooling mode, the defost control would shut the fan off, and kick on the strip heat, homeowner plans on equipment replacement and had me bypass the defrost control, (hope they get it replaced by winter lol)
    "I'm not going to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at my death"