Question

I have a split ac system with heat pump and last night the Air Handler stopped working. It made a banging and grating sound and started hissing then stopped running, I also smelled what seemed to be burning wire but no smoke. Whats up with this thing?

its broke

It needs a professional service technician to look at it.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Uh ohhhh. So, it went zip when it started and pop when it stopped? And whirrrrr when it stood still?

Time to call someone.

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 06-09-2005 at 09:30 PM]
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Talking

It made a banging and grating sound and started hissing then stopped running, I also smelled what seemed to be burning wire but no smoke.

you mean the best help we can give this person is to tell them "its broke"? cant we be more specfic? What is usually wrong with anair handler thet makes a grating sound , a hissing sound and a smell with no smoke?

I got it ! A rattle snake in the air handler...no, a dizzy rattlesnake in the air handler

sounds like the squirrel cage had a melt-down. motor may be salvaged, hopefully it shut down on internal over-load, therefore,hopefully, saving the motor. pay a service company to come out and make the repairs. on a difficulty scale = 7 , 10 being the hardest. some specialty tools may be require in order to remove old blower wheel + electricity (high voltage); best to let a pro field this one.

you people who r trying to get free service calls answered or fixed stop being so damn cheap & get your ac fixed