Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AC lifespan

Lightbulb YUMA !

Originally posted by Yuma

In my neck of the woods (or desert- Southwest Arizona) we have a number of old R-500 systems still going.
    I would say it's about forty years old.
    Y o U M ost A mazing !
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Yep. That be a 2.5 ton (30K BTUH) unit Mike. If it's not undersized I'll eat my hat. I don't like hats anyway.

Exclamation Think a Minute ( or Several Hours)

Originally posted by tsmike
    Canada, 35 km north of Toronto. Temperature here rarely exceeds 90(32C) in a daytime and it goes down to 75-80(23C) at night.

Anyway, as I've said it can barely bring the house down 8 (4C) degrees relatively to the outside. It has 28000 BTU reciprocating compressor. House is 3200 sqf. Regardless of the fact that it seems undersized ...
    I WISH I could have ____ IRASCIBLE Eat some Hat ___ LOL
    BUT that will be IMPOSSIBLE in this instance which has a unit GREATLY UNDERsized ( unless, of course, you are Totally UnderGround).

?? ? Extent of UNDERSIZING ? ?? ??? ???? ?????

... TRY a 5-Ton unit ON FOR 3,200 S.F. SIZE,
    if you have ~ 600 sq. feet total glass area.

OR take out nearly all the windows
    + see if 2.5 tons can work HARD Enough to have Outside-Inside Temperatures reach 13' or 14'F.

OR perform a Manual J 8th calc that may lead to " 6-tons +/- required ", so you can Just Add another 3 tons or So.

OR do Not perform a Manual J &
    keep swapping or adding diferent sized units till you get what you want. I bet we can have this solved by 2007 or 8.

OR ...
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12