york seals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: york seals

never had any problems with a double bellow seal until now ,thing started leaking and its only 3 mounths old.this is on a yk my ? is has anyone else run into this.This is going to be a problem to warrenty this i think .

Hmm

We went through the seal problems for several years, (almost annual maint.!) until they came out with the new bellows style seal. We haven't had it leak for going on 2+ years....

this is the new one,it must be a defect it leaked a little new i figured let it run in but it just getting worst,i need to return it and get a new one but i am not going to hang my hat on that

what type of coupling are you using
    check the alignment of your coupling i bet it is off.

Wink york seals

joeywpittman; The unit you are descibing uses the "D" ring to attach the motor to the compressor and keep everything in an aligned function and avoid having to move the motor to change the seal. Check you coupling alignment. You have almost .020" in any direction when you have bolts holes on both sides of that "D" ring. I've had couplings as much as .017" low, motor below compressor shaft. Ideal position is compressor .0015 lower than motor shaft. That way when oil flows and rotation starts the compressor shaft will "lift" Good luck

the unit i am describing uses a Thomas Series 52 Coupling

[Edited by joeywpittman on 06-11-2005 at 01:27 AM]

the alignment was checked when it was replaced but i am going to check it again the machine is 1200 tons with a 2300 volt motor cross the line mayby something shifted.

it could be the c-ring it could snag or rip when tightning changed seal or not enough lubrication on seal when tightning if length or distance between hubs could be an issue we have had to build up shim pack bolt hole with washers to get proper distance which is important for motor thrust if it is not correct it could leak due to axial movement to much NOTE: THE C-RING HAS LOOKED TO BE UPGRADED THIS MAY HELP WITH DURABILITY

Ga1279 are you saying there is a total of .020 movement available by loosening the bolts on both sides of the motor support. Reshimming of the motor would then be required yes, no? I have installed a new seal that does not leak refrigerant but leaks more oil than I believe it should and alignment may be the issue. Also according to York teardown literature that coupling in the photo is not put together properly.

Talking Bellows leakers...

I have a YT Millenium chiller that had the original seal replaced with the newer bellows type. It leaked after about a month's use. I checked the seal cavity pressure and it was just barely positive. Scratching my head, I continued to let it run with the bottle filling in roughly a month.

Then it quit leaking and has been happy all season.

Ain't I good?
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

that photo is a picture of a york YS screw. it is not exactly the same type of coupling that is used on the YK models but it is similar. It is put together properly.

Give it some time. I put one in and it took a month and a half to finally seal up. Now it running like a champ or as good as a York can

well im going to check the alignment in the morning,will check motor thrust and low speed thrust and anything else needing checking.i sure wish it it would run in but its getting worse before now i swore by these seals,aND IF ALL MY CHECKS ARE HUNKY DORY and york will honor the seal i will still swear by the seal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast