Thread: blower motor location

Post Likes
    There seem to be a few companies that their air handlers have the blowers above the a-coil right in the air flow. I'm refering to vertical ,up-flow, air handlers.Wouldn't logic say the blower should be at the bottom of the air handler and blowing up through the a-coil? Thank you.

Post Likes
    most air handlers are built this way. the air flow across the coil is slower than if the fan was blowing through the coil, this allows for better heat transfer. if the fan blew directly on the coil it would blow the water off of it causing drain problems.
    i wanted to put a picture here

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Given the same size coil and cfms ,the air flow is the sme speed across the coil,in either position.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dash
    Given the same size coil and cfms ,the air flow is the sme speed across the coil,in either position.

yes the cfms are the same, but the outlet side of the blower housing is always smaller than the cabinet and coil size. the fpm from the discharge opening is more than the fpm coming across the coil on a suck through application. if you mount the coil directly in front of the fan you will not get an even airflow across the coil.
    i wanted to put a picture here

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in