+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 seer resi new const

Post Likes

19 seer resi new const

Job from a few years ago , wasnt quite finished at time of photo.

Post Likes
    Other than the little unit blowing into the big unit, looks good.

Post Likes
    Thank you Mr. Loonie , no kidding , if I remember right we werent too happy about the size of the slab for cond. units.

Post Likes

Ground hog day, echoooooooo, double posts

What BaldLoonie meant was that your CU air is getting deflected because of the "looks great" but useless plastic diverter on the top.

You obviously take the time and make the effort to do things well.

Some suggestions for the future:

1. Use cush clamps and strut on your linesets.

2. Bring your pipe out and away from the evap coil for service access in the future. It is code in some areas.

3. You should trap that condensate. Those hi velocity filters will more than likely be replaced with pleateds and then the condensate wont drain properly.

4. Tight area , remember that 30" should be considered the minimum for service access.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    What BaldLoonie meant was that your CU air is getting deflected because of the "looks great" but useless plastic diverter on the top.

You obviously take the time and make the effort to do things well.

Some suggestions for the future:

1. Use cush clamps and strut on your linesets.

2. Bring your pipe out and away from the evap coil for service access in the future. It is code in some areas.

3. You should trap that condensate. Those hi velocity filters will more than likely be replaced with pleateds and then the condensate wont drain properly.

4. Tight area , remember that 30" should be considered the minimum for service access.
    Thank you for the reply , 1 - job was not finished at time of photo , clamps and strut came soon after. 2- Ya thats true , however you can still get that coil access panel off , any major cleaning and the coil will have to be pulled anyway. 3 - The condensate lines are in the slab and rise outside , they are trapped. This house has ducted returns with multiple grills for low pressure drop with pleats. 4 - For sure! Sometimes the builders dont give you what you need. Although I wouldnt do the job if their requirements were TOO objectionable.

Post Likes
    Proper air filters? Not a fan of duct board at all.

Post Likes
    Anyone else feel those condensers are a little close to each other and the corner/ wall? More than just from a service access perspective, from a functionality perspective

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyed View Post
    Proper air filters? Not a fan of duct board at all.
    Really? C'mon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hheating View Post
    Anyone else feel those condensers are a little close to each other and the corner/ wall? More than just from a service access perspective, from a functionality perspective
    Dude the condensing units are fine! SHEESH. They are 19 seer people. Way oversized coil. Even with a 90* start up they ran a 100* condensing temperature. A 10* TD. Pretty darn good. 12* Subcooling. Are we in the real world here? Or just quoting installation manual specs.

Post Likes
    Believe me , if I woulda had more room.... If its a big slab ill space them out as wide as I can. But they still ran fine. We turned down a job once on that note.... the builder wanted us to install multiple c/u's under a stairwell , big time cond air recirc. We didnt bid on it. Also , in FL you always have a good breeze. Think about it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Really? C'mon.
    Yeah, been 4 or 5 years since we have used duct board..

Post Likes
    That's one of the few things I've always hated about high efficiency Tranes: Those silly, not-well-thought-out top designs that restrict the air flow & deflect hot air on any nearby condensers - probably one of the reasons they never really get to the 19SEER they advertise on the model name (XL19i?).

The duct board looks good - some people buy into the myth that anything NOT metal is crap, which is simply not true & the way some people on this forum like to think they're better than everyone else here when they're even bigger hacks than those of us who do use something other than metal. Don't take offense to it.
    WHY?

Post Likes

Actually,

you're right, it makes a lot more sense to use all sheet metal for the ducts. That way when it rusts out in 10 - 15 years I'll have something for my installers to do!
    WHY?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    That's one of the few things I've always hated about high efficiency Tranes: Those silly, not-well-thought-out top designs that restrict the air flow & deflect hot air on any nearby condensers - probably one of the reasons they never really get to the 19SEER they advertise on the model name (XL19i?).

The duct board looks good - some people buy into the myth that anything NOT metal is crap, which is simply not true & the way some people on this forum like to think they're better than everyone else here when they're even bigger hacks than those of us who do use something other than metal. Don't take offense to it.
    Special Ed - Thank you very much sir , may I shake your hand?! Finally someone who knows a good FL job when they see it. You are precisely correct with that post. You know , a lot of guys are from "up north" and thats all they know. I myself have seen ductboard jobs 30 years old that were still beautiful , there is a skill and know how with fiberglass just like metal. Would those folks condem a fiberglass boat and say it should be metal as well?? And YES YES YES sheet metal ducts rust out like a china iron in FL coastal. They do not know about how duct board is highly acoustic , high R-value , resistance to condensation , versatility of installation , job site fabrication , light weight , and conserving the earths resources. Dont get me wrong I like metal as well , and have fab'ed and installed plenty of it. But it is not the [I]ONLY[I]choice.

Post Likes
    Those were XL19i's. Ya the top is cheesy. But its really not a big deal. Even on the hottest days , the discharge air temp off the condenser is not that hot. Were not talking about a 1978 Luxaire that ran a 300 head on a cool day.

Post Likes
    Looks great!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acsolutionsllc View Post
    Looks great!
    Thanks a million! Appreciate that comment.

Post Likes
    looks nice. I agree condensate should be trapped.. Especially upflows..

Post Likes
    Nice copper work, well laid out line sets

Post Likes
    Like to see someone that can use a set of benders.
    Where did you say those traps were?
    And about the coastal excuse for using ductboard, not buying that at all.
    BTW, had one of the big FL contractors do a job in a big house here, steam humidifier in the attic of a $3M home without even a drain pan-right.
    It does look nice though. I think the pics of ODU is deceiving and clearance may be better than it looks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in