Thread: Payne or Ducane

Post Likes
    Hi,

Any recomendations between Payne and Ducane Central Air conditioning units? What's better?

Apreciate any advice. Thanks

Mike

Post Likes

Talking

PAYNE
    While the most important part of any job is installation and quality of services, Payne equipment is IMO far better than Ducane.

Post Likes
    The better machine is the one installed by the better contractor - period. If all the contractors seem the same to you then either they're all hacks or you haven't learned enough to tell the difference.

Read it:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=38790

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input. It really helps to start somewhere.

Mike

Post Likes
    Ducane and Payne are low end equipment from larger manufacturers to compete with goodman/spankitrol. If you don't mind noise either one will do the trick. Yes installation is the most important aspect of the job, weve heard that a million times (well I guess its worth repeating). Good luck.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Post Likes
    Sorry, didn't answer your question. Payne is better.

Post Likes
    Just curious; what makes some of you feel that one brand is better then the other?

Do they have different compressors? Different contactors? Does one have components that the other doesn't? Is the coil of one made of different materials then the other?

Really; what makes two different brand units of the same capacity and SEER rating different from one another?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes

How about design? Noise levels, ease of repair and maintenance, powder coated paint compared to pop can air handlers. Composite materials instead of tin, combustion blowers with vibration pads etc.

Post Likes
    The Ducane is a virual clone of the Carrier/Bryant cubes, which are a step UP from the Payne outdoor unit. Ducane's coils most likely come from the Heatcraft/ADP factories. Everyone seems to have a good opinion of ADP coil quality. Payne's evaps come from the US of Mexico and many have an opinion of them!

I guess I'd spend a bit more on something better built.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by millerman

How about design? Noise levels, ease of repair and maintenance, powder coated paint compared to pop can air handlers. Composite materials instead of tin, combustion blowers with vibration pads etc.
    I know for a fact that no brand of condensing unit or air handler has a better combustion blower then any other brand, and this thread is talking about a cooling system.

You made some suggestions as to what to look for, do you have any data stating that one brand is better then the other?

As far as composite materials are concerned, I am not yet sold on the fact that they are better. Heat pumps using composite bases that are not on at least 6 pump ups are sagging where the compressor is mounted.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Ducane uses scrolls on all heat pumps standard, and 12 seer and up a/c. Also has hinged access panel and angled service valves.

Post Likes
    I never really had any problems with Payne. And in my opinion the Payne round design is much quieter than Carriers 10 SEER CKC unit (cube design).

I installed a Payne for my wife’s brother (in Canada mind you) and it has performed flawlessly for years.

Oh, and to answer your question…I would choose Payne over Ducane.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Post Likes
    As far as composite materials are concerned, I am not yet sold on the fact that they are better. Heat pumps using composite bases that are not on at least 6 pump ups are sagging where the compressor is mounted.

RoBoTeq you have just answered you own question. I you mind a unit made with composite material is inferror to other units. Therefore there is a difference. Also I for one find a big difference in cabnet quality between brands.

Have a great day!
    Helgy

Stupid is as stupid does. Don't be stupid!

Post Likes
    Been using Ducane 12 SEER Heat pumps for the past 6 months, so far have no real issues with them. Scroll compressor runs very quiet. 5 year parts, 10 year compressor warranty customers have had no complaints. Only problem I have is they are too much like Lennox for my tastes.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    Robo,

Personally I grow increasingly ambivalent about brand. I will say that there can be no question about cabinet quality differences. Trane's condenser cabinet is one solid hunk of metal compared a lot of them. But hefty cabinets are a nicety not a necessity except in unusual circumstances. The only other thing that I have heard (and it hasn't been proven otherwise to me) is that Trane recips are rated for a percentage of liquid (unlike any other) and Trane scrolls are the only one's with a break to prevent backward operation. I don't drink any OEM's Kool-Aid. So if you have knowledge that contradicts those reputed attributes of Trane compressor then please share.

So as a result I do like Trane. But I'm not rabid about it, especially when you consider price. I tell my customers exactly that. If they just want a very nice fit and finish and a better compressor, pay the extra for Trane. If they understand that I'm the "know-it-all mofo" that's going to make the difference then they often opt for Goodman. Those are the two brands I give bids on. My customers so far have gone about half and half in their decisions.

Post Likes
    Actually, Trane was not one of the brands being compared. I have heard pros and cons on Tranes scrolls; pros from Trane dealers and cons from others...of course.

Of the two brands being compared there is really no differences other then personal preference. Come to think of it, Trane may have a different compressor but they still perform the same, so again, is the added cost worth it?

I have nothing against any brand overall and I have at least some things against every brand specifically. They are all great when they are doing what they are supposed to do and they are all crap when they don't.

Of course, we only make a living because they all eventually turn to crap
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    LOL. Your comment brought to mind all of my favorite restaurants. They'd be out of business if their product didn't turn to crap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in