Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Consensus seems to be reusable is OK. Should have given a little more background initially, but I live almost literally on top of a major road and my home is very dusty. Also, I'm in NJ, the system is a heat pump, and the coil will be dry most of the year, if it matters.

I get my filters from filtersolutions.com and was considering this. If someone has a recommendation for an alternate supplier that can make custom sizes, let me know.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Doesn't really give you much info, does it?

I would go to a Home Depot and buy a couple of hogs hair filters. Just cut them to the size you need and maybe run a couple of stiff wires through them for support. I like leaving the edges raw so that the filter forms to the filter rack channel.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Dash,

I would agree with what you said in theory. I'm forced to take your word for it that the evap coil filters the same as a hog hair.

But in practice I don't actually see what you're talking about. I've been a service man for ten years - NOT an installer for a few then a service man. I've done almost nothing but service so I see what these coils look like after years and years of cheap but changed regular filters. And the result is that the coil, furnace blower etc. are all fine nearly all of the time.

I don't actually resort to hog hair filters too often. I typically tell customers to buy disposable fiber glass filters. My experience with either is that most systems can go 20 years and never need their coils to be cleaned IF the filter is fitted correctly and changed regularly.

I'm certain their are regional differences to be considered. This is mostly urban and suburban land. Paved roads and manicured laws are the norm. In farm country and the back forty I might be singing a different tune.

Follow up:

Finally spoke to my installer on an unrelated matter (the spot cooler/mini-split thread in the commercial forum). He strongly recommends against reusable because they don't maintain their effectiveness after repeated cleaning -- the coating doesn't last. So, I'm sticking with the disposables.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    GOOD choice.IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12