Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Radius 90 out of duct board? I have seen them made, takes almost a whole stinkin sheet for one broadway.

Duct board makes me want to itch

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    jimmyed

I agree and if you are skilled enough to measure your job for unforgiving sheet metal than you have the base line skill to take advantage of DB's (ductboard) main advantage: You can easily cut the pieces to length and even field offset to avoid the unforseen. I think with the ability to modify, it takes a better mechanic to work with board IMO

LibertyTree

Only on the Space Shuttle or submarines do we have NO LEAKS or maybe very small/ manageable ones.
    sealed residential duct has the EXPECTED LEAK RATE of 48, the same as unsealed commercial sheet metal. DB is 3, we use 6 because you may need reinforcing so they make an allowance.
    Too bad you had a bad experience and closed the book on DB before you read it. The point about PVC and cooper is apples to oranges Hmm , I am old enough to remember the same remarks being heaped upon PVC when it was first introduced and the "real plumbers" said the same thing

AiResearch
    There is no problem with DB on the return. The suck / blow thing was my attempt at humor and turning a phrase.
    Before you say it... I am not quitting my day job for a life as a comic
    On my transitions, no leakage WHATSOEVER! I'll take that to the bank. If that means its space shuttle caliber then so be it. When you seal from the inside and silicone the front piece there will be no air leakage. As for the rec duct thats a different story, not sealed 100% but pretty darn good. No matter which way you slice it sheet metal is superior to ductboard... The insulation in the airstream doesn't bother you? Thats why I dont use soundliner on the supply side of sheet metal duct.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Air R -- I thought overall it looked nice . You can work your ductboard like a master. If your readings come out right I don't see a problem with it. I use sheetmetal duct and love making it. Sure there are some things I would do differently but you have a good eye for craftsmanship.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

You're right about radius elbow

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyed View Post
    Radius 90 out of duct board? I have seen them made, takes almost a whole stinkin sheet for one broadway.

Duct board makes me want to itch
    That's why we do square elbows with 4" turning vanes. Pressure drop really close to same value as radius with 1.5 centerline
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

You don't use liner?

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    On my transitions, no leakage WHATSOEVER! I'll take that to the bank. If that means its space shuttle caliber then so be it. When you seal from the inside and silicone the front piece there will be no air leakage. As for the rec duct thats a different story, not sealed 100% but pretty darn good. No matter which way you slice it sheet metal is superior to ductboard... The insulation in the airstream doesn't bother you? Thats why I dont use soundliner on the supply side of sheet metal duct.
    Then you accept the duct noise. If you read the Industry info the question marks about cancer are gone since 2002. The only reason questions raised in the first place is they didn't know and the only info they had was when they opend up the rat's body and stuck the insulation into the body cavity. And the rat didn't like that. They didn't make the rat breath it but put it insde. THINK THAT WAS A FAIR WAY TO judge if there is some reason for concern?

You, like me are entitled to your opinion.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345