Suction Drier

Thread: Suction Drier

Question

had a burn out on a 25 ton tandem copeland compressor's. Replace compressor's and added a suction line drier, as well as replacing the liquid line Drier. After running for a day I took a pressure reading across suction Drier. There was a 10 psi drop. So I replaced the filter thinking it was clogged. Right when I started the unit it still had a 10 psi drop across the filter. the lititure on the filter says it should have a 2 psi drop across the filter. The filter is rated for a 40 ton unit. Is My system realy that dirty or is something else going on?

Hmm

Is the suction filter in the right direction?

take the drier core out of the shell. vaccum, then start up. See if you still have the 10 psi drop.

what did the core you replaced look like? was it clogged,black,white?

what size suction line is coming from the evap.?
    what size fitting is going in and coming out of your drier?
    what size line is going into the suction of the compressor?

Is it (2) 12.5 ton compressor or (2) 25 ton compressor?

Did you put the drier in the common suction line or the suction line just for the burnt compressor?

Is the ten psi drop accuring only when both compressor are running are just when one is running?

[Edited by joeywpittman on 06-09-2005 at 01:07 AM]

Question suction drier

The line coming from the evap is 2 1/8 inch. drier size is the same on inlet and outlet. then it tees off to bothe 12 and 1/2 ton compressors. line size on compressors is 1 5/8 inch. pressure drop stays constant when one or both are running. And yes the drier is going the right direction. I also Just replaced it again and I still have a 10 psi pressure drop.

Wink

I forgot. Drier is in common header.

Is this a single core shell?
    Yes we have air conditioning in our igloos.

Smile

Yes. A steel take apart shell. Emerson Part# STAS-4817S-V

I assume you are using clean up blocks with the fine mesh screen? If this is the case, I would get that system cleaned up and then replace those blocks with the pleated style filters. The block style filters are recommended as a temporary installment in the suction line, to clean up after a burnout or a water problem. Sporlan recommends also removing the fine mesh screen once the pleated filter has been installed to decrease the pressure drop as much as possible.

-websy

P.S. I once had a 6 psi drop through a three core shell using acid blocks on a 20 ton system, so I'm really not surprised you are getting a 10 psi drop through a single block. Once I installed the pleated filters my drop was less than 2.

[Edited by websy on 06-09-2005 at 05:22 PM]
    Yes we have air conditioning in our igloos.