+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawfish season...

Post Likes

Crawfish season...

...enough said...

(The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    When I lived in Arkansas there were irrigation canals in the soybean/cotton fields behind the house that were full of crawdads. I had a 10 foot pool with a stiff wire basket on the end that I would drag through the shallow water and pull up dozens of crawdads for fish bait and we would occasionally boil some of the larger ones.

Good bass bait.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes
    Mud bugs...yum!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    ive though about setting a trap in the ditch behind my house. Not sure i would eat them, its mostly a drainage ditch from farm fields. Just curious if they are in there.

Is there a soaking period you recommend to "clean them out"?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post

Is there a soaking period you recommend to "clean them out"?
    Down here most of them are farm raised, either in ponds or flooded rice fields. There are also those caught in the wild, you can taste the difference...kind of a swampy funk that sings to us regular eaters. There's no soak that I know of though...just a healthy dose of crawfish boil, some red taters, corn on the cob and whole onions thrown in the water and eaten with them.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by section m View Post

...married me a Cajun princess, eating crawfish was a right of passage to get to the altar, the family all but adopted me when I slurped down the contents of the heads without being prompted...Andrew Zimmern ain't got nothin' on me...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    ...married me a Cajun princess, eating crawfish was a right of passage to get to the altar, the family all but adopted me when I slurped down the contents of the heads without being prompted...Andrew Zimmern ain't got nothin' on me...
    You guys don't have Beef in that part of the country or what? geeez

Post Likes
    I really did not need to see that picture right now,,,,,,

I am freaking starving and I have now a craving for some crawdads, that ain't here yet

Thanks

Post Likes
    Wow! Water just thawed here...... We dont get um big enough to eat till late summer/fall.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Tasty. I am jealous for sure!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by westval View Post
    You guys don't have Beef in that part of the country or what? geeez
    Actually use it for the bait...

More coming this weekend...nummy num....

Post Likes
    Only tried em once and I don't remember any heads.....but they came with potatoes and some sort of sausage and were piled on the table with other stuff. It was darn good!

Post Likes
    I've tried them several times, seems like a lot of work for little return. Gotta eat a ton of those bugs.
    The Bill of Rights ARTICLE II "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed".
    [SIZE="4"]

Post Likes
    I love them but, how do you keep the juice from running down your wrists and on to your elbows?

Post Likes

I don't know if I ever tried them?

What do they taste like, comparatively?

I love lobster and crab and all that stuff. In fact today is my B-Day and my
    son and wife traditionally steam me a pot of crab legs.

I wouldn't mind these little critters though. If they taste similar?
    Don't go away angry... Just go away.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlyph View Post
    I love them but, how do you keep the juice from running down your wrists and on to your elbows?
    I've never had a problem with that...maybe I eat them too fast to let them drip...

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyDo View Post
    What do they taste like, comparatively?

I love lobster and crab and all that stuff. In fact today is my B-Day and my
    son and wife traditionally steam me a pot of crab legs.

I wouldn't mind these little critters though. If they taste similar?
    Texture wise, they're close to lobster...the flavor is not as sweet as lobster or crab and fuller (?) than shrimp. To me, the best ones are the older, darker colored ones with a bit of swamp in them. A rite of passage down here is sucking the heads, Cajuns just don't believe you've eaten crawfish unless you do that. That is where the yellow fat is as well as a goodly sip of the seasoned water. The in laws were rather surprised this city boy did it without being told to...guess it's from all those blue crabs I've eaten over the years.

Post Likes
    Blue crabs, I miss them. Maryland was where I grew up, or spent my formative years anyway, I have never really grown up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by section m View Post
    WUSS!
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    I have tried them I don't get it thou Give me a something with some meat to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in