I was wondering why my house was not getting cool after the ac was running for several hours. Looking at the compressor and at first glance it looked like the refrigerant piping was pvc, however upon closer look they were covered with a thick layer of ice.

The unit is brand new and I have a call into service but was wondering about root cause and what I should be sure they do to fix this for good. Also is it ok to run the unit in this condition.

thanks for any help on this.
    BDX

Shut the unit down, you may have liquid refrigerant returning to the compressor under those conditions. Could be several different things possibly a leak that has a allowed your refrigerant charge to leak out.

check your filter make sure its clean then call for service

Make sure your filter is clean also. If that is the problem, they may (and probably will) charge you for the service call since that's not covered by warranty.

As stated, turn the unit off. You may cause serious damage to the compressor if you continue to run it.

ok thx... if you don't mind, please tell me what the filer is/does.

Inside your furnace/air handler or in the ductwork attached to it, you should find an air filter. It takes particles out of the air before it gets into the blower. If, for some odd reason, your unit does not have a filter, then your coil may be plugged with debris/dust. At that point, you will have to call a pro to come and clean it. He can also install a filter for you.

It filters the air.

thanks, found it and it was plugged solid with dust and dirt...

i would turn the airconditioning off and turn the fan on manual for awhile to defrost the evaporator. when the water stops running out the condensation line it is defrosted and can be turned back on.

Senior Tech Guest
    And another satisfied customer visits hvac-talk...