Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by blitz99
    i want cheap and adequate.
    Good luck as these are a rare rare find in this industry. You would be wise to folow the advice already given And since no two contractors price the same nor are labor rates the same across the country, it is pretty much impossible to say "Yes, you are getting a good deal" or "No, you are getting hosed" although Robo put it much plainer.

A typical price shopper.
    Read those ads you found in paper. They are leaders to generate work.

Throw the ads away. You don't need them. We get customers who shop everything- from per-pound price of freon to diagnostic fees.

Shop quality of service- not cheap price. Rarely will you get both.

And even if you get some guy to quote you cheap- wait until he gets there & jacks up the invoice w/ extras.
    The legitimate contractors don't work that way. They charge a fair price & want you to call them again!

There is absolutely no comparison of HVAC service to an oil change. With an oil change you know what needs to be done. With HVAC service there could be a multitude of problems that need to be addressed. There may be multiple issues causing the problem. Rarely is the broken part the actual problem, the problem is what broke the part and that is not always easy to diagnose.

People who shop only price when it comes to HVAC work usually end up paying a lot more then someone who shops reliability.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Apparently you didn't read the site rules any better than you read those ads. No pricing discussions allowed in this forum? I think that includes cleaning, or oiling or whatever it is you're looking for. Good luck.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

my mistake on posting prices... i did not read the rules, i am sorry...

as for the suggestions made, they'd be great if i knew someone who used a specific HVAC company, however i do not and therefor cannot choose a company based on reputation or referals from my neighbors. i do not care about long term AC health as i am moving very soon and just want the air to work well while i'm still here... after i move i dont care, hopefully the new owners will know an HVAC guy.

Ask your neighbors to look on their furnace for a sticker of the last company they called. Ask if they seemed ok. Obviously they didn't have any major problems if they can't remember who they called. A customer tends to never forget a company who screwed them over. You are making this much harder than it needs to be!

SAFEty Check

Originally posted by blitz99
    anyway, i got some ads out of the coupon books for:

80 bucks clean and check,
    free service call with repair (cleaning count as repair?), cleaning and safety check 95 bucks,
    and "precision tune up" for 70...

that tuneup does not list a cleaning and seems like a waste (basically it's a "check this check that type of thing"

what do you think of these prices and are any of you pros around here? if so, let me know.
    $265.43 Minimum

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

What you need to understand is that most of the heating pros on this web sight take offence to price shoppers. I myself provide a good service at a fair price. So with out further due call the cheapest price and schedule the service. This is what you want to do anyway, you are just looking for our ok. Not going to get it.

Have a great day!
    Helgy

So your goal blitz is cheapness because you're outta there soon. I personally have no problem with that. But your REAL problem is NOT the cost of the maintenance. It's the cost of the jerk that's going to rip you off by telling you that you have to buy parts you don't need. And guess where your greatest opportunity to find "bill padders" is? That's right! Ultra-Cheap maintenances. It's extraordinarily rare to find a contractor that runs a real loss leader. What they actually do is bait and switch. The bait you with a low price in the ad and switch it to a high price by compelling you to pay more whatever way they can.

Go to my site and look up the services -> maintenance page. It'll tell you exactly what I charge. I charge a fair amount more than what some contractors will for doing maintenance on both the furnace and AC. And you know what? I do the job right and don't shove bull crap down your throat to pad the bill.

Your cheapest route is to pay whatever the most honest and competent contractor wants. That's hard to figure out. But the lower the price compared to prevailing, the higher the chances that you'll get your bill padded.

Re: SAFEty Check

[i]

$265.43 Minimum

[/B]
    for???

i did discover one thing today;.... i dont need a cleaning.. i must have a leak in there and be low on freon... i did a self clean with renewz, the coils look good to me, however i'm not a pro.

I see a new system coming up.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

CAN I Help You?

check my add out and call me..

regards,
    kelvin

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    I see a new system coming up.
    nope, not a chance.. it's a fairly new lennox system, maybe 6 years old....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast