Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    i'm in hazel park and need a cleaning and maybe charge with freon... not sure.

anyway, i got some ads out of the coupon books for: 80 bucks clean and check, free service call with repair (cleaning count as repair?), cleaning and safety check 95 bucks, and "precision tune up" for 70... that tuneup does not list a cleaning and seems like a waste (basically it's a "check this check that type of thing"

what do you think of these prices and are any of you pros around here? if so, let me know.

The best thing is find a dealer that friends & neighbors use and call them. Shopping price just makes things confusing. Low prices are often a "foot in the door" to talk you into new equipment or unnessary repairs. I'm biased towards smaller, family businesses. Seem less likely to be that way and more likely to give better service. That's the case around here.

Ask what their service includes. Should include thorough cleaning. Normally takes around an hour.

I would call around and see when someone could even come out. I know most companies are backed up weeks!
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

When it comes to getting service, whether for your home HVAC, car or computer, to announce that price is all you are concerned with is like screaming; "I'm bent over with lots of vaseline!" Is that really how you want to do business?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I see you that you take the whole "word pictures" concept very seriously Robo. Ahem.

Lightbulb Long Term Standing

Go with the family owned firm who has been providing SERVICE for > 30 years
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Makes sense. Two to twenty year old businesses need not apply.

I dig your number crunching prowess Dan. But I was unaware of the corollary that states a proportional relationship between years in business and quality of service. If anything I've observed an inverse relationship. Old timers who've yet to embrace the concepts of micron gauges or electronic leak detectors have been around a long time and have been doing things wrong for just as long.

Thumbs up Evaluation of Quality

Originally posted by Irascible
    But I was unaware of the corollary that states a proportional relationship between years in business and quality of service. If anything I've observed an inverse relationship.
    ....... VARIETY is the Spice of Life.
    Judging Quality : Just use The Dice.
    L O L

[Edited by dan sw fl on 06-09-2005 at 06:45 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by blitz99
    i'm in hazel park and need a cleaning and maybe charge with freon... not sure.
    what do you think of these prices and are any of you pros around here? if so, let me know.
    I'll send my nephew.
    Of course, the travel charge will be $150 ... for starters.
    Cleaning Extra $,$$$.$$
    Designer Dan

Click on the "Find a Contractor" tab at the top of the page. There are a few contractors around this site that reside in Oakland County. You can also contact the Better Business Bureau and ask them for some names.
    Be more concerned with a good contractor than with finding the cheapest one.

Originally posted by Irascible
    I see you that you take the whole "word pictures" concept very seriously Robo. Ahem.
    Sorry about that one

I just get so tired of seeing consumers getting screwed by the bait and destroy types of companies he/she seems to be looking at.

Especially in our industry, the old adage; "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is", really applies.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of reputable companies that will advertize low priced inspections just to get their foot in the door, but many of these mail stuffer $29 check up guys are total ripoffs with no intentions other then to sell what you most likely don't need at inflated prices.

I think that one good gauge a consumer can use is to speak just a little of our language to get a feel of whether or not we speak that language. For example; a consumer that asks a potential service company if they check the superheat/subcooling as well as all electrical values will put a company on guard that maybe this customer will catch on if they try to pull a fast one.

Also, by asking these questions a consumer could rule out any company that claims that those things are not necessary.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    I think that one good gauge a consumer can use is to speak just a little of our language to get a feel of whether or not we speak that language. For example; a consumer that asks a potential service company if they check the superheat/subcooling as well as all electrical values will put a company on guard that maybe this customer will catch on if they try to pull a fast one.
    Damn straight! I've been chided by some of my so called peers because they think I give away too much information on my site. I give a TON of it to be sure. But for 99% of the customers out there it will only serve to teach them why they can't do it. And it gives them LOTS of questions to ask prospective contractors in order for them to weed out the bad ones.

thanks for all the suggestions, but back to my main concern...

are these good prices?

and yes, as of right now, my MAIN CONCERN is price. to me, it's like an oil change, i can go anywhere for the same service, i want cheap and adequate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast