Kink in the large line of the lineset right where it comes out of the foundation. Im sure its been there since the lineset was installed 18 years ago.

What would this kink cause?? With the new system installed the house was 72 and 38RH but the compressor was loud after 4 days. Would the kink thats been there for 18 years all of a sudden made the new scroll compressor run loud after it had run quiet and cooled the house fine for 4 days??

GRRRRRRRR you should have mentioned that earlier mike. How bad is the kink?
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Mike, I think you should have hired a good contractor for this whole job.

less than 1/4 the thickness of the line and of course it caused it to be slightly wider so wouldnt think total flow is affected that much but did change the shape of line at that point.

at kink the line is slightly wider and flattened on the underside

Yer killin me here mike...LOL.

Im told by tech that he's seen vapor lines kinked pretty good without really affecting performance.

Once again this kink has definately been there for 18 years since the house was new.

Whats gets me......The new condensor's scroll compressor ran for 4-5 days (30-40 hrs) quiet as a kitten before it developed the loud noise??

orifice .002 too big or slight kink in vapor line possibly causing noise but took 30-40 hrs of running to develope??

Like I said even at its loudest it was cooling the house great and keeping the Rhumidity in the 38-41 range.

right now its shutdown waiting new piston and vacuum/recharge

Story to be continued tomorrow evening

Let us know what happens mike.

Get the kink fixed while the system is down.

What does a kink in a suction line do? What does a kink in a water hose do?

If you want to risk oil return problems to that new scroll compressor, leave the kink alone.

And please try to keep all your questions under one topic. Kinda hard to read all your posts and it comes across as spamming the board, although that may not be your intent.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Possible that scroll is starting in reverse. See this alot with scroll units when liquid works its way into the suction side.

If scroll is starting in reverse and causing noisy operation.....

1. would the system still cool the house normaly as mine does??

2. how do you make it stop starting in reverse??

3. does it start in reverse and then correct itself...if so why does the noisy operation continue?

Originally posted by mikeinva
    If scroll is starting in reverse and causing noisy operation.....

1. would the system still cool the house normaly as mine does??

2. how do you make it stop starting in reverse??

3. does it start in reverse and then correct itself...if so why does the noisy operation continue?
    1) No. If it's running in reverse it's not going to develop much of a pressure differential across the compressor. That equates to no cooling.

2) It won't start in reverse if it's a single phase compressor, which 99% of residential applications are. Only way it might happen is if check valve inside compressor didn't catch and compressor was short cycled. That's a stretch.

3) No. I'd look for oil return problems if I started out with a quiet scroll and it got louder over time. Also, overcharge or undercharge might be a factor. The kink in the suction line needs to go.

• Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.