Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What is the main cause of death for ac dual caps, or caps in general?

Found three blistered yesterday, systems in spec

Capacitors deteroriate over time. There are 3 general factors in order of significance:

1. Age
    2. Temperature
    3. Overvoltage

Any of these factors will accelerate failure. Most failures are a result of the dielectric material (an insulator) in the cap starting to leak some current. This results in internal heating, and either a short circuit in the cap will occur, or the current conduction and heat can sometimes burn out a conduction path in the capacitor, so it becomes an open circuit (no capacitance) or occasionally the excess internal heat causes it to vent (most have a built in vent device) or in a worst case explode.

paul

thanks tec, i figured age was the culprit on these but thought id ask the question anyway

voltage spikes

Mexico

Ive cut a few of the swollen ones open, many of them the dielectric fluid had hardened up and caused the cap to overheat and swell, GE caps suck...period

Two words for me...Mexico and China.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

And York capacitors in Lennox HS29's. Go figure.

Most times I find a bad run cap, the condensor coil is dirty. Heat kills them, plugged up condensor coil causes the unit to run hotter, and the higeher amperage also causes the run cap to generate more heat internally.

All these run caps coming in units these days are very small, wich gives them less surface area to reject heat from, and less mass to heat up during the on cycles, so they run hotter. Toss in any condition that gives them less than ideal ability to cool off and *POP* goes the top.

I find the run caps with the plastic housings to be the most reliable by far as a replacement cap.

Some units with scroll compressors are using 60 and 80 f run caps that are very small. I like to replace them with two 30f or two 40f run caps in parallel.
    This splits the heat generation between 2 caps, each of wich is usually physically larger than the origonal, giving much more reliable operation.

I replace far more run capacitors every year than I replace any other single type of part.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

That was my call today. HO called and said AC not working. Run cap looked like it was ready to pop. What run caps do you guys carry in your trucks?

GE of course....

Originally posted by oilman52
    That was my call today. HO called and said AC not working. Run cap looked like it was ready to pop. What run caps do you guys carry in your trucks?
    Planned part replacements...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Originally posted by oilman52
    What run caps do you guys carry in your trucks?
    One 4, four 5's, two of everything from 7.5 through 60, one 80 and two rather expensive but handy universals. I HATE running to the wholesaler for parts that cost nothing.

[i] I like to replace them with two 30f or two 40f run caps in parallel.[/B]
    Don't you mean in series, or have I been doing in wrong.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

You been doing in wrong. Caps in parallel add. NATE question # 56.

STUD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast