Thread: new regs

Will the new regs bring down the price of 13 seer or should I hop to it and buy a good quality 11 seer NOW!

Probably not, but I wouldn't waist money on anything less than 12 SEER. I got my parents in to a 12 SEER R410a heat pump back in March, and they already notice a difference in their power bill. In the South that can make a big difference too.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

dont see the price of 13 seer dropping heck i'm just hoping it will stay the same for a while

as far as weather a 10,11,or 12 seer would be right for you it would depend on your location and construction of your home.

Aren't you in Canada, thurston? If so, 11 is fine. The utility rates aren't bad and the cooling season is short.

Though I don't know where things are going in Canada. I wouldn't think Canada would adopt the U.S. 13 SEER regulation anyway, at least not on the same time schedule. You may have to talk to locals to get the scoop on that.

Not sure about other makes and models but Rheem prices on 12 seer have taken a couple of jumps in the last 6 months...a supplier friend that represents Rheem thinks they are doing that to soften the blow for both the seller and the client when it goes to 13. I believe him.

Canada will adopt the new regs along with the US. Our minimum seer will be 13 as of jan. 06. In our climate anything more than 10 SEER is a total waste of money. Example cost saving on 10 SEER to 14 SEER upgrade amounts to about $15.00 per year in electrical savings. Our humidity levels in BC are very low as well so we do not have a lot of dehumidification needs. 13 SEER is going to be a very hard sell in our neck of the woods, even though it will be the minimum. We are selling a ton of 10 SEER this year because people are well aware of the changes and consequences of waiting till next season.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Question $ > ?

Originally posted by tinmantu
    Not sure about other makes and models but Rheem prices on 12 seer have taken a couple of jumps in the last 6 months...a supplier friend that represents Rheem thinks they are doing that to soften the blow for both the seller and the client when it goes to 13.
    Metal Costs
    have been a major contributor to price increases
    for all manufacturers in the last 9 months.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I agree, the Chinese buying up a lot of the steel has affected all our sheet metal prices, but all you have to do is look at the new Rheems and you will see in the midsections that the structure that they appear to not have as much integrity as one from a couple years ago....they still protect the coil, but they appear to be gasping like an asthmatic...lol...I think they are saving on the steel myself...JMHO