Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ychic-research

Your tax dollars hard at work........
    I like the way statistical packages for social sciences works, modeling behavior outcomes regression, but it is flawed. One thing I can predict is that there will be change as you say,some things will decay, living things die, grow etc.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I could predict these tragedies like Japan/9-11 etc. are going to become more of a day to day occurrence, am I a prophet?
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I like the way statistical packages for social sciences works, modeling behavior outcomes regression, but it is flawed. One thing I can predict is that there will be change as you say,some things will decay, living things die, grow etc.
    Social Sciences now theres a mouthful....

Slap enough money at it and before you know it some dingbat can con anybody into believing anything.

Thought of Prophet - Jack Van Impe!
    Does he count?
    I like his hair.
    Roxella seems a tad dopey though, maybe I'm being too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by can2man View Post

I thought she was a puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I thought she was a puppet.
    She is to Jack like Ed McMain was to Johnny Carson. Don't tell that to my wife she listens to them all the time. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by can2man View Post
    Thought of Prophet - Jack Van Impe!
    Does he count?
    I like his hair.
    Reguardless of what you think about his prophecies he is a good source on what is going on in the ME. Got Islam down cold. Enjoy hearing his analysis and news on the ME. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Reguardless of what you think about his prophecies he is a good source on what is going on in the ME. Got Islam down cold. Enjoy hearing his analysis and news on the ME. Thank you, thank you very much
    I agree with you glenn, he is a worthwhile listen.

Just remember Bill, you invited me to this party

It appears that we are discussing prophets in only a theological sense. In the secular sense, I agree that there are modern day visionaries who by acutely watching trends of culture, nature and economics can "prophesise" what events are most likely to occur in the future. But for theological prophets, I cannot believe there to be any until the very end of days, which I believe to be further into the future then we can even imagine.

Like MrBill, I am a Christian. Maybe unlike MrBill, I really don't know for certain, I also believe that all other religions prior to Jesus Christ walking the Earth were correspondences with God that were more misunderstood then Judeo-Christian writings are. I cannot consider Jesus Christ a prophet of God because spiritually Jesus "was" God. John the Baptist was considered a prophet but being a contemporary of Jesus I would classify John the Baptist more as an announcer of Jesus's arrival as the Son of God even though He is also called the Son of Man, which Jesus was both. So, pretty much the last prophet of the Judeo-Christian belief would be Malachi, who lived over four hundred years before Jesus walked the Earth. That is longer then the United States of America has existed by nearly two centuries.

Here are some New Testament clues that modern theological prophets are not of God;

Matthew 24:24

For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. (No mention of real prophets.)

Hebrews 1:1-3

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, (I take this to mean that since we have the Words of God Himself through His mortal Son, there is simply no need for further prophecy. What has been needed to be taught has been taught by Jesus, the Son of Man as well as the Son of God. There is simply no other need for future prophets.)

1 John 4:1

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. (While this does not deny that there may be real prophets, it does warn against false ones. As would be traditional with the writing style of the time of New Testament writings, what is omitted can often times be taken as something that does not exist. Since there is an ommision that there are to be any real prophets, we may be able to assume from this passage that only false prophets have gone out into the world.)

Acts 2:17-18

“‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; even on my male servants and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy. (Looks like God has already told us when prophesy will return to mankind, and that will when God decides that mankind will know His will enmasse. This is supported by the telling that there will be no doubt when Jesus has returned because all will be able to see the signs.)

Matthew 24:2

But he answered them, “You see all these, do you not? Truly, I say to you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.” (Even this was not a theological prophecy, but rather a visionary prediction of what was going to occur based on what was currently happening.)

Matthew 25:13

Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour. (There is no prophecy that can predict when Jesus Christ will return.)

Matthew 24:44

Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. (There is no prophecy that can predict when Jesus Christ will return.)

Matthew 24:35

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. (Obviously no other prophesy is ever needed.)

Revelation 17:14

They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.” (I'm not a big fan of Revelation due to it's abstract dream infused writings, but this certainly is prophetic of exactly what is happening today with the Islamic war against Christianity. So, maybe in a way, the author of Revelation was more like modern prophets in being able to deduce what was eventually going occur even though it took six centuries to happen.)

<H3>Revelation 22:19

And if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. (This passage alone negates Islam, Scientology, Mormons, Jehova's Witness's etc., all of which change scripture to suit their needs.)

</H3>1 Corinthians 15:52

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. (This is certainly a far cry from 70 virgins, which kind of eliminates women from being with God other then as prostitutes. This was exactly the sort of thing that people in the Pagan city of Corinth could relate to.)

Acts 17:11

Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. (Most original Christians were Jews who had been raised in the prophesies of the coming of the Messiah. Even though Jesus was not what they expected, they did accept Jesus because in Jesus, the prophesies were accurate. These Jews had not had a recocnized prophet since for over 400 years in which they endured some of their worst losses and best victories with the Greeks. To these learned Jews, Jesus was the end all to the ancient prophesies.)

John 18:36

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.” (why would there be any need for further prophets when we are getting our lesson's straight from God Himself?)

John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (Claims of having to go other ways to God the Father after this are false.)

Matthew 24:36

“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only. (No end of time prophesy)
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I believe Edgar Cayce would fall under the catagory..... "Flim Flam Man"
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I believe Edgar Cayce would fall under the catagory..... "Flim Flam Man"
    Ya well...there you go thinkin again.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Interesting topic for discussion...

I believe that just before Christ died, he said, "It is finished"... At that moment there was an earthquake, total darkness in the middle of the day, and the 75 ft tall curtain separating God's place from the public place in the temple was torn from the top to the bottom (miracle IMO that all this happened at a specific moment).

This was God's way of saying the barrier between mankind having open fellowship with God was now open again, as what Christ did on the cross resolved an issue.

So how do we relate this to prophesy: All one needs is to honestly seek an open and real relationship with God... and God will lead the one to understand all they need to... To rest in living by faith (as St Paul suggested repeatedly in his writings in the New Testament), is where the peace and joy of the Christian life comes from.

Do I need to worry about the end times? Well IMO no... I believe the same God that created the heavens and the earth, that did the flood thing and the Noah thing, that parted the Red Sea, who crashed the walls of Jericho, that strengthened David to kill a lion and a bear with his hands... as well as Goliath, who grew flesh on dry bones, and who raised Christ from the dead... Has the ability to take care of His kids... and ALL of us Christians are His kids. To me, it is simply a promise God WILL keep... and I will bet my life on it.

Does this help?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

The way I see it is, for every prophecy ever made, we have an idiot who will do his best to make it come true..........
    I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast