Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Modern Day Prophets.

Modern Day Prophets, do any of you believe that there are any? if you do believe there are, can you show me were the one/ones you believe in, their Prophesies have come to pass. My personal belief is, that all we need to know "the coming events" are already mentioned in the word of God, and for a modern day prophet to really prophesize something we don't already know by reading God's word, wouldn't they have to know more than God?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

They wouldn't have to know more, but they would have to have special dispensation from God about coming events. And those events have been foretold already in The Word of God. No one can prophesy, all we can do is interpret according to what God is telling us - and has told us - already. The signs of the times are everywhere. (I believe the last prophet that was named as such had his head delivered up on a platter to Herodias.)

Not sure what you mean by modern day, but Edgar Cayce was pretty good.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Modern Day Prophets, do any of you believe that there are any? if you do believe there are, can you show me were the one/ones you believe in, their Prophesies have come to pass. My personal belief is, that all we need to know "the coming events" are already mentioned in the word of God, and for a modern day prophet to really prophesize something we don't already know by reading God's word, wouldn't they have to know more than God?
    "The coming events" have come and gone, are back again and are not going to amount to anything except for people with low, self-esteem drinking some kool aid and making the news for a few days. Each generation of "believers" have this same discussion over and over again.
    Time for a paradigm shift don't you think?
    Maybe their is no God. I'm thinking it might be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Not sure what you mean by modern day, but Edgar Cayce was pretty good.
    Ok I guess any after Jesus died. Edgar Cayce, is there proof somewhere, were one of his predictions come to pass? When I say "come to pass" I don't mean someone prophesied we will experience higher gas mileage cars in the future, or Al Gore will lie to us, I mean "real" things that God wanted us to know.
    David Wilkerson is supposed to be a prophet from what I understand, he preached this in the Solomon Church in December of 1994, "Right now I sense in my spirit that in less than 5 years there will be no more so-called gospel television networks. They will all fall into bankruptcy and absolute ruin."(Solomon Church Dec. 12, 1994) well we all know this did not come to pass.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Not sure what you mean by prophets. There are people who can identify current trends and extrapolate them with a high degree of accuracy.

For example, see Moore's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Not sure what you mean by prophets. There are people who can identify current trends and extrapolate them with a high degree of accuracy.
    Ok who are these people? and show me what they have accomplished, I guess I am looking for some solid evidence, not hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    They wouldn't have to know more, but they would have to have special dispensation from God about coming events. And those events have been foretold already in The Word of God. No one can prophesy.
    I am totally on board with you here.

Apparently I edited my post as you posted your reply.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Not sure what you mean by prophets.
    My understanding of a prophet, is someone that can predict coming events, "and they actually happen" here is what the words says. Deuteronomy 18:20-22 But any prophet who falsely claims to speak in my name or who speaks in the name of another god must die.“But you may wonder, ‘How will we know whether or not a prophecy is from the Lord?’ If the prophet speaks in the Lord’s name but his prediction does not happen or come true, you will know that the Lord did not give that message. That prophet has spoken without my authority and need not be feared.

Do you think extrapolation of a trend is the same as prophecy?

(Will you go to work on Monday? How do you know this?)
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Do you think extrapolation of a trend is the same as prophecy?

NO! If your data is good and your trend is strong (and preferably linear) you might have some success in predicting the future of that trend for a year or two. But that hardly merits the name of prophesy. It's more like common sense. What you can't predict is whether or not your pet trend will be completely sidelined by something unforeseen before it comes to fruition.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ychic-research

Your tax dollars hard at work........

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast