Strong Sour/Garlic smell from Exhaust with Heat Running

Hi Guys, I have a 22 year old Carrier 585SX100-JG1 furnace using Nat Gas. Over the past month a very strong sour smell that has a kind of garlic smell is coming out of the outside PVC exhaust and very noticable anywhere in a 20 foot range of the pvc exhaust. I also notice it a little coming out of the heat ducts in the home. The flame looks bright and blue and furnace seems to working properly heating the home. Any help with thoughts or cures would help.Thanks Dave.

do you have a combustion anylizer?sometimes it speeds things up.if the furnace is 20 years old i would get some estimates on replacement.usually its an incomplete combustion smell. the anylizer makes that easy to determin.is the exhaust single piped or 2 piped?

Yes it has 2 pipes and guessing one is a fresh air intake? And sorry I do not have a cubustion anylizer.

I would have a tech examine the secondary heat exchanger very closely.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    I would have a tech examine the secondary heat exchanger very closely.
    ASAP

if it is up flow look for traces of water down by blower how old is it 10 or less carrier bryant you have to use combustion anyalizer to go througih there check to get waranty.when you do your inspection they sudjest know that you tilt unit twards drian slightly so back of heatexchanger doesnt wrot out .

ASAP!!!!!!!!! Go get a carbon monoxide alarm today! The alarms at the big box stores are not very good but will work for right now. Call a service company now, your life or the life of your loved ones could be in danger.

i would run the furnace as little as possible. Get a good co detector.Call a service professional.however in my what would you be gaining by spending money to find out the heat exchanger on your 22 year furnace is cracked.even by replacing it what are you realy gaining .Find a good company that will give you an estimate and a service call and credit there diagnosis to a new furnace if you have to replace it thats what my company does. i would only make a costly repair if the house is under agreement to be sold.

Thanks guys, I already have 2 CO detectors down there already so I am all set on that side. I did look up the recall info online and my model and serial number is on the list. I have someone coming tommorrow Monday but what I could not find is what is the settlement dollars? I will probably go with what I am guesing the larger dollar figure credit for new instead furnace instead of new H/exchanger but does any of you know what is the rough dollars they are offering? And are they marking it up (full Retail) to give credit, like the contractor only gets a lower credit for replacing? Just curious.
    Also is there a Carrier model you would reccomend or stay away from? Current model is 58SX100JG-1 Natural Gas 110,000 BTU's with a Carrier AC Tech 2000 model 38TG also from 1989. Should AC go also and any reccomendations there?
    My home is 2700 sq ft ranch with walkout basement and 1/2 basement finished. I have a natural gas freestanding/stove heater in the basement finished side. I am planning on living here for at least 10 more years since our home value has taken a dumper here in SE Michigan. Does my replacement model need to resized since a lot has changed in 22 years since this was installed for my type home? Furnace is at one end of home with long runs to the other end bedrooms,baths etc. Home is 83' long. Thanks again for all your help and I am glad I joined back in 2009. Dave

The manufacturer will only repair what's there. If there's an allowance toward a replacement unit, the installer will likely be given the new unit and the installation cost is yours to bear.

Having said that, yes, the new unit should be properly sized. I've attached some information to help you with that issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    We just went through the process this week Customer pays for the required test, and when it was determined that the secondary HE was bad,there are two choices.
    They will pay parts and labor to repair,or give a partial credit towards a new unit and labor to replace.

DO NOT throw more money into a 22 year old furnace.
    Take the credit and upgrade.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Thanks

I just replaced today. carrier would not do a thing since it is 22 years old. I even called them. Put in a Payne 100K 95% today and it runs like a champ very quiet.
    Thanks for all the help.