Thread: Condo Rooftop Condensor and Furnace Replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I currently have a rooftop condenser and a Rheem multistage heatpump/gas furnace with AC. The whole system is from 1988. The condenser isn't coming on, and two repair guys came in and reccommending replacing everything said it would be a big rewiring repair $$. They also advised against heat pumps, and said I should get a new gas furnace, coil and condenser.

Does anyone have any advice? The system is old enough to replace right? (1988) How much should it cost to have this stuff installed (equip + labor + renting a crane to switch out rooftop condensor). Thanks!

- Josh

Post Likes
    Also... I live in Northern NJ (Brutal winters and Pretty hot Summers)

Post Likes
    get more estiments sounds like trouble brewing

Post Likes
    I haven't got any estimates yet. I just had a Tech in last night to look at the system. He didn't even figure out exactly what was wrong he just said that it would be a big wiring job, $xxx to $xxxx to fix without any guarantee of it not failing again (cause of age), he recommended replacement, charged $xxx for the diagnostic, and left. When he turned on the condensor manually he said it had a strong burning smell.

[Edited by BC1 on 06-08-2005 at 11:25 AM]

Post Likes
    Can't discuss pricing. Read the rules of the site.
    I would not bother with a heatpump in N. NJ unless you had cheap (under 10 cents a KWH) electric rates. You'll be using gas when it gets very cold anyway. Is the furnace indoors or is it on the roof also?

Post Likes
    Sorry, I didn't know that was in the rules. Anyway. The furnace is inside (it's a rheem) heat pump with gas aux heat.

Post Likes
    If replacement is neccessary. How long can I expect the job to take, and how soon do you think places will be able to do it. Keep in mind, that I believe a crane is necessary to replace the rooftop unit.

Post Likes
    Ask the people you're getting estimates from. It can take anywhere from a few hrs to a couple of weeks depending on the installation. My own custom AC system took two guys 2 weeks to get installed. Cranes may/may not be necessary depending on the building, yet another thing we can't tell from the internet. These are legitimate questions, but for your prospective installers. Too many variables for us to guess at without seeing the job.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in