Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bwal2,

Thanks for the information. Yeah I knew that the soft start kit was added to the air conditioner. They add them so that smaller generators will start the air conditioner than would otherwise be necessary. I am going to get the tech out who sold and installed my system. It may very well be that there is some part that has gone bad on the Carrier and that the Marathon/Isuzu will easily start the unit after it is repaired. It may be as simple as the coil on the contactors is not holding so that as soon as 240 vac is applied to the compressor it is immediately lost. Or something along those lines. The soft start kit would be nice if not necessary and if it is necessary and does the job that would be great to. I found the information on them by doing a yahoo search on starting an air conditioner with a generator. Most all of the hits have to do with RV's as they have small cheap gasoline powered generators and start air conditioners with them. Many of the posters refer to using the soft start kit to make it possible. Unfortunately the air conditioner tech will not be out until after June 21st.

Mike

Originally posted by mikecales
    Unfortunately the air conditioner tech will not be out until after June 21st.
    Ouch

bwal2

Tech is finally coming out this saturday and he is bringing one of the hard start kits that you were speaking of. Seems that may be just the trick to get this compressor started.

Mike

DocHolliday,

Tell me a little more about this pump down system you say I could convert to. I have never seen reference to one of these so my ignorance is infinite.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12